Fuel additive/Fuel system cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2012, 08:43 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel additive/Fuel system cleaner

Hi

Just been reading about fuel econ and what to do to make your engine cleaner and more efficent. It states this stuff is the best money can buy. I usualy use milers fuel addative but now thinking about trying this stuff.

Whats ppl thoughts, dont want to knack the engine using something a little too strong ?

Rich

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG44K-BG-4...item5646670f05
Old 04 January 2012, 10:56 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never really know if these things work unless you do before and after power runs and even then it may do it's job of internal cleaning but not necessarily show noticable gain on the rollers.
I'm not sure that I've heard of this one but of course, there are lots of such products available. I've used the Slick50, Comma DTox versions in the past with no adverse effects but no "wow, that feels better" effect either! I have a can of this ready to try at some time: http://www.ecotek.eu/PowerBoost.htm
Which is a direct application product as opposed to a fuel additive (and as such, does not clean the fuel system or injectors)
I'm sure there are others on here with comments - cue the 'snake oil' brigade!

JohnD
Old 06 January 2012, 09:13 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Ive done a good bit of research and it does seem the real deal so i think im going to have a crack and see how it does. I dont have any issues but once every 5k I like to put some treatment in the petrol to clean things out, I usually use the millers stuff but found this on a site that was giving tips about fuel efficiency and the person that told ppl about this was the advisor to the American goverment for the fleet vehicles. I'll report back when i've had a bash.

Last edited by scoobywrxwagon; 06 January 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06 January 2012, 10:04 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

some info from 5th gear

http://fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/v...ake-you-faster

they do not have a high opinion of additives.................
Old 06 January 2012, 10:39 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for the reply.
Im not after an octane booster or to gain more bhp Im just wanting it to clean all the internals that may have carb'd up over the last 5k. Only octane booster ive used that made a difference was the NF stuff expensive but it does work I found.
Old 07 January 2012, 12:29 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
Hi thanks for the reply.
Im not after an octane booster or to gain more bhp Im just wanting it to clean all the internals that may have carb'd up over the last 5k. Only octane booster ive used that made a difference was the NF stuff expensive but it does work I found.
AHHH -- (note to self -- read and understand post before replying )
Old 07 January 2012, 10:10 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
Hi thanks for the reply.
I occasionally use NF (but not in large doses) and found it quite effective. Like most OB's it leaves an orange coating on everything to do with the combustion. I would guess an effective way of seeing if these cleaners work after using an OB is to check the plug colour before and after!
Don't forget that with modern fuels and oils and with engines running much leaner than they used to (14.7:1 stoich. as opposed to something like 11-12:1 back in the good old days of carburettors) engines simply do not carbon-up to any level to cause concern. De-coking is virtually a thing of the past. Ah - memories of a weekend spent stripping the head, de-coking and grinding in the valves on Mini's, Anglia's, Cortina's, Capri and Rover 2000TC

JohnD
Old 08 January 2012, 01:02 AM
jh1-2009
Scooby Regular

Shell v power has a cleaning additive in http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/...wer_pkg/about/
I remember a BP ad where they ran a couple of Audi R8,s, one on their BP Ultimate and the other ran on supermarket fuel. The valves were clean as on the ultimate and coked up on the supermaket fuel.
So imo forget the additives and put good fuel in.
Old 08 January 2012, 10:01 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jh1-2009
Shell v power has a cleaning additive in http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/...wer_pkg/about/
I remember a BP ad where they ran a couple of Audi R8,s, one on their BP Ultimate and the other ran on supermarket fuel. The valves were clean as on the ultimate and coked up on the supermaket fuel.
So imo forget the additives and put good fuel in.

Your prob right, I usually use VPower or tesco 99 so in all should be ok but I must say after I have used the millers cleaner it does feel that lil bit more perky. I was going to have a go with this stuff and just wanted ppl views on it really or wanted any feedback from ppl that had used it.

Rich