Notices

Anyone able to diagnose / Guess?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2012, 12:24 AM
PREZAMI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone able to diagnose / Guess?

Was going a good speed on motorway in my 2001 uk wrx the other day and the engine management light started flashing. Shortly after it seemed to lose a bit of power. I came off the motorway and as I went to pull away it didn't sound right, there was a bit of white/grey smoke from the bonnet. It would barely pull away from the lights and wouldn't go above 30. When I pulled up to stop a big load of smoke came out of the engine, which appeared to be around down pipe and out the exhaust and it really smelt strongly (of oil I think).

Recovery guy who took the car back home said that it seemed to be misfiring and mention piston rings but wasn't too sure.

I've got someone looking at it on Wednesday but wondered if anyone had any ideas on what might have happened (not much to go on I know).

Got the car in August, had a service with oil change, new titanium spark plugs and cambelt/tensioner done just after buying. The engine management light has been coming on but it was a sensor on the exhaust causing it, I believe as the cats have been removed, so I was clearing the light off after checking there were no other codes. I've plugged it in now and there are no fault codes, which seems very odd as the engine management light flashed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Just praying it won't be a rebuild.
Old 02 January 2012, 12:46 AM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Compression Test I'd suggest, That would identify any piston or ring damage.
Flashing cel usually is the knock sensor going out of spec & what with the decat downpipe thats not mapped by the sounds of things I'd reckon it could have suffered quite servere detonation.
Old 02 January 2012, 01:21 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

When you decat a car it must have a remap.
Old 02 January 2012, 03:19 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

As above sounds like det and melted a piston..
Old 02 January 2012, 05:18 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

wow so according to SN decatting a car and no remap kills engines nowadays? pmsl
Old 02 January 2012, 09:38 AM
namron
Scooby Regular

As above,decat your car does not kill engine.
Old 02 January 2012, 12:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by namron
As above,decat your car does not kill engine.
New age STI's dont like decats, they do det but it doesnt mean that a wrx wont det with a decat, its just that there is less chance of it happening, hence if you do decat then you should really remap to compensate.

Though smoke around the downpipe, white and oily... maybe a turbo seal? you wont know until its been looked at.

What other modifications and what fuel in/on the car.

Tony
Old 02 January 2012, 12:15 PM
PREZAMI
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all of the replies, much appreciated.

As far as I'm aware, the only modifications are the exhaust system and an air filter but for all I know the car may have been remapped in the past.

I've been using standard 95 octane fuel. I thought that as it was a UK model car, that would be ok but after reading more, it seems 98 would of been more sensible as it's not completely standard.

Last edited by PREZAMI; 02 January 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02 January 2012, 02:15 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PREZAMI
Thanks for all of the replies, much appreciated.

As far as I'm aware, the only modifications are the exhaust system and an air filter but for all I know the car may have been remapped in the past.

I've been using standard 95 octane fuel. I thought that as it was a UK model car, that would be ok but after reading more, it seems 98 would of been more sensible as it's not completely standard.
I had a classic and ran that mostly on standard fuel. The engine did give up but it could have been down to several things lol.
Old 02 January 2012, 04:51 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
wow so according to SN decatting a car and no remap kills engines nowadays? pmsl
Classics were fine, Newage is borderline assuming thats the model of the OP's Car, various codes have been known to pop up for boost spikes too.
Old 02 January 2012, 11:03 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

The exhaust might not destroy the engine alone but it can start a chain reaction.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:38 PM
PREZAMI
Scooby Regular

Well it's being transported to Triton Motorsport in Bournemouth on Thursday so I'll keep the thread updated. Fingers crossed it's not too bad.
Old 10 January 2012, 11:51 AM
PREZAMI
Scooby Regular

Well looks like it's going to be expensive. They haven't stripped it yet so don't know the details but going to be some sort of rebuild. If it's going to be expensive I did think it maybe an idea to get a low mileage WRX engine however they recommended to just rebuild as if it's rebuilt properly, it will have plenty of life left in it despite it having done 88k miles.

The problem was due to it having a boost controller turned up, an overide map (or something like that, can't remember exact term) causing the engine to run lean and the decat downpipe.

So will be getting rebuild and OEM remap. I'm thinking that where it's already opened up, this is the time for some power upgrades. Not after monster power but 320ish would be good. Just need to work out if I can afford a reconditioned turbo (maybe a vf35).

Will report back later once I know more from Triton! Please let me know if you have any advice in regards to going for either a rebuild or a lower mileage engine or increasing the power.
Old 11 January 2012, 02:10 PM
PREZAMI
Scooby Regular

Don't know what to do now tbh so any help and advice would be appreciated. Engine completely buggered by the sounds of things - head gasket, bearings, pistons etc (although crank is ok), clutch is also on last legs and total price including vat, parts for engine, clutch, labour and a new remap is about £3300. Car's only worth that at a push anyway and that's stretching my budget to the limit so gutted to say the least after only owning the car for 5 months
Old 11 January 2012, 04:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear that.

It's a shame that whoever sold it you didn't explain about this boost controller, or have it done properly, or both.
Far too many of these cars are being destroyed by careless mods like that. NOT getting at you.

You have two options: break it, and recoup at least SOME of the money spent, or sdave and get it fixed....PROPERLY!
Old 11 January 2012, 04:52 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

it is a shame thats forsure,

if your rebuilding then stick to sensible power as the wrx box doenst like to much power through it,
Old 11 January 2012, 05:58 PM
PREZAMI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Sorry to hear that.

It's a shame that whoever sold it you didn't explain about this boost controller, or have it done properly, or both.
Far too many of these cars are being destroyed by careless mods like that. NOT getting at you.

You have two options: break it, and recoup at least SOME of the money spent, or sdave and get it fixed....PROPERLY!
Indeed, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I just assumed it was pretty much standard where as I should of got someone to check it out thoroughly. Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by cuprajake
it is a shame thats forsure,

if your rebuilding then stick to sensible power as the wrx box doenst like to much power through it,
Certainly won't be going crazy if I get it fixed, thanks.
Old 12 January 2012, 12:20 AM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
Perhaps you may want you rephrase what you wrote & read below

Originally Posted by PREZAMI
Well looks like it's going to be expensive. They haven't stripped it yet so don't know the details but going to be some sort of rebuild. If it's going to be expensive I did think it maybe an idea to get a low mileage WRX engine however they recommended to just rebuild as if it's rebuilt properly, it will have plenty of life left in it despite it having done 88k miles.

The problem was due to it having a boost controller turned up, an overide map (or something like that, can't remember exact term) causing the engine to run lean and the decat downpipe.

So will be getting rebuild and OEM remap. I'm thinking that where it's already opened up, this is the time for some power upgrades. Not after monster power but 320ish would be good. Just need to work out if I can afford a reconditioned turbo (maybe a vf35).

Will report back later once I know more from Triton! Please let me know if you have any advice in regards to going for either a rebuild or a lower mileage engine or increasing the power.
Sorry to read This mate Didnt sound good from your initial post. Hope you get sorted out
Old 12 January 2012, 12:35 AM
PREZAMI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Perhaps you may want you rephrase what you wrote & read below

Sorry to read This mate Didnt sound good from your initial post. Hope you get sorted out
Cheers mate, in the process of trying to work out what to do next on this thread - https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-or-scrap.html