Notices

Burning oil plastic smell after cambelt and oil service??

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2011, 09:27 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Burning oil plastic smell after cambelt and oil service??

I am probably being paranoid but 6 miles ago the car had a cambelt kit replaced and an oil and filter service. There are no noises, rattles, squeaks etc but there was a strong smell as in the title. I have checked the oil level and all is correct but it looks like some was spilt over the cam cover and block when it was being filled and the smell only appeared after I got the car hot.

To me its just excess oil over the hot block burning off but I thought it best to check with you clever people before I lay my head for the night!

Thanks in advance,
Ian
Old 26 December 2011, 09:34 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like some oil was spilt during re-filling and is now burning off. Just keep checking your level. If the level stays the same and the smell stops just forget about it. I always seem to spill a bit when doing mine, especially if ive lost my funnel and try and pour it in out the can.
Old 26 December 2011, 09:38 PM
colebags
Scooby Regular

when i had mine done mate my smelled for a few days probely just the water over filled like you said and gone on the exhaust and block
Old 26 December 2011, 09:39 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chopperman
Sounds like some oil was spilt during re-filling and is now burning off. Just keep checking your level. If the level stays the same and the smell stops just forget about it. I always seem to spill a bit when doing mine, especially if ive lost my funnel and try and pour it in out the can.
That was my thinking but wanted to be careful. My main concern was that it wasn't anything to do with the belt but I can't think of any way it could be to be honest as all is running and sounding sweet.
Old 27 December 2011, 12:39 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

have you checked the exhaust system for carrier bags ?? sound silly but its happened to me 2-3 times !! they stick to the hot exhaust and burn , so every time the car gets hot the bag stinks !! its a mare to get off and lasts ages ! just a possibility
Old 27 December 2011, 07:51 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a cambelt done a few years back and they had not refitted the cam belt's plastic cover correctly. The subsequent chaffing caused quite a nasty burning oil type smell and scored the cambelt itself. Worth a check?
Old 27 December 2011, 05:21 PM
noturbo
Scooby Regular

My old scoob developed a similar smell and it was a crank case seal, oil dripped onto the hot exhaust mannifold and it smelled bad. Was about an 80 quid fix at Subaru iirc
Old 27 December 2011, 06:09 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Covered about 150 miles today in the Black Mountains and kept a close eye on things as I went, checking oil regularly etc and all is well. Probably just some oil over the manifold as the smell has now gone away.

Thanks for the advice gents