Camshaft oil leaks - front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2011, 09:38 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft oil leaks - front and rear

Hi All,

In the process of servicing a MY98 GL/Sport with SOHC. There has been an oil leak on the offside, looks to be coming from a plate that covers the rear of the camshaft. I roughly know the camshaft seal arrangements at the front, which I believe is a fairly common source of leaks, but what's the score at the rear of the camshafts? Is it just instant gasket on the mating faces of that plate? I know most of you will only have experience with DOHC engines but I'd guess the setup will be similar.

Secondly, there's a good bit of oil near the front of the nearside camshaft. It's possible that it's just spillage from oil filling in that vicinity, or perhaps that's just optimism! There is no oil on/around the camshaft pulley or in the cambelt cover, so I guess the seal at the rear of the cam front housing has gone. As per the pics on this site: http://beergarage.com/SubyCam.aspx

Cheers.
Old 22 December 2011, 09:49 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

from your description I think your rocker gaskets are leaking. Easy job but be sure to buy quality replacements
& it's best to replace the bolt
seals & half moons.
Old 22 December 2011, 10:00 PM
fredster1
Scooby Newbie

i have the same problem at the moment oil leak that was on the floor yesterday at work just took timing cover off both bottom cam oil seals r hanging out just behind pullys it is a bit strange to have both oil seals come out at same time it a subaru wrx 1996 2.0 turbo
Old 23 December 2011, 03:05 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
from your description I think your rocker gaskets are leaking. Easy job but be sure to buy quality replacements
& it's best to replace the bolt
seals & half moons.
Thanks I will check again with that in mind. Not quite convinced though as the nearside one with the leak near the front looks very similar to that in the pics in the links I posted, which the guy claims to have solved with cam seal and housing o-ring. On the other bank with the leak at the rear I guess rocker is plausible though - I take it the cams don't usually leak at this end as I can't find forums posts about it.

I'll wait for a dry day and feed back further and with photos.
Old 23 December 2011, 05:37 PM
fredster1
Scooby Newbie

take ur cam belt cover off i used my phone on record with light on move it down near ur cam pully and then u will be able to see on ur phone if it is leaking i no it sounds funny but i done it other day and found my leak and then stated it up and wached the oil leak out my car is all sorted out now been on a long drive b4 all ok hope this helps
Old 29 December 2011, 10:33 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Fredster, I'm pretty sure there's no leak through the camshaft front seals since there is no oil inside the cambelt covers.

I think it's leaking from the rear of the camshaft front mount where there is an o-ring seal, as per the link I posted above. Here are my pics of the area near the front of the camshaft on the nearside bank - I think the oil is too far inboard to be from the rocker cover, but would appreciate others' views:

And at the rear of the other bank, I think it is leaking from the plate on the rear of the heads (marked X), presumably this is the rear of the camshaft? Again the oil looks too far inboard to be the rocker cover I think. What are the seal arrangements for this plate/the rear of the camshafts?

Last edited by scoobyster; 29 December 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04 January 2012, 09:45 PM
fredster1
Scooby Newbie

alright mate hope u get it sorted