Notices

What turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2011, 01:05 PM
gregwagonturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What turbo ?

Hi what is the turbo that is fitted as standard to impreza wagon classic pre facelift and what bhp can you achieve with it with supporting mods i.e. de cat exhaust and panel filter. Many thanks
Old 10 December 2011, 01:15 PM
gregwagonturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gregwagonturbo
Hi what is the turbo that is fitted as standard to impreza wagon classic pre facelift and what bhp can you achieve with it with supporting mods i.e. de cat exhaust and panel filter. Many thanks
Also want reliable bhp not maximum
Old 10 December 2011, 02:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year? What model? Pre facelift can cover a couple of models so ill have a guess...

We can start off with a Uk model, pre 1997 car (ie an MY96), this runs a TD05 turbo, the turbo is capable of 340-350bhp with supporting mods (note the supporting mods, those in themselves can cost you 2+k).
Then there is the JDM WRX wagon, these run a TD04 turbo, these are good for around 270bhp with the above supporting mods.
Then there is the MY97, which has the old interior and semi facelift front, (uk car), these run a TD04 turbo, so same as the wrx wagon.

You will also have to take note of your cars age, brakes really do suck on these early models (on all classics actually, but the 2 pots are really bad), the gearboxes and clutches are weak, the more power you put through them the quicker they will break (and they do, especially the TY752's).

Reliably BHP... hard question, depends on how good your engine and running gear are, reliable could be 250bhp on your car but 300 on someone elses (or the other way round), a health check would be a good idea

What sort of modifications have you done or are you planning on doing?

Tony
Old 10 December 2011, 03:09 PM
gregwagonturbo
Scooby Regular

Hi its a n plate uk wagon. Its had a engine rebuild just under 4k miles ago. It also had a recent clutch ( standard ). The only mods it has is a decat exhaust with a magnex back box, a subaru pro r panel filter, a remap for the exhaust and filter and i have a sti intercooler to go on but not yet fitted.
Old 11 December 2011, 05:06 PM
gregwagonturbo
Scooby Regular

Is there any numbers i can see on the turbo to identify it ?