Notices

VF35 passing oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2011, 09:37 AM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VF35 passing oil?

Ive recently carried out an engine build and upgrade for a fellow SN member, essentially a newage STI rebuilt short engine, headers, fuel pump/pressure reg, VF35 and a re-map. The car was run in and mapped with no problems, quiet through det cans etc. After the initial build it needed an oil leak fixing and I ran the car around for a while and no problems at all. Since the owner drove the car home (3hrs ish) it blue smoked heavily on start up, the following day it was ok and then heavily again.
While I was fixing the oil leak I done a compression test as I wanted to double check all was ok as the owner had mentioned some smoke on start up since first having the car back. All cylinders were within a few psi and there was no indication of it breathing at all.
I'm suspecting the turbo may be passing oil as it seams to get worse the further it's driven in between cold starts? The turbo was a second hand unit. Anyone had similar issues?
Old 07 December 2011, 10:22 AM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

If the turbo "seals" are on the way out and the customer is some distance away, ask the customer to check the oil level and also look inside the intercooler/pipes for oil vapour. If present this would indicate oil leaking from the turbo, from memory the VF35 is a sleeve bearing turbo so this might be the issue if its old or had a hard life.
Old 07 December 2011, 11:03 AM
Gutted1974
Scooby Newbie

Noted as customer.

Vehicle driven on first collection at no more than 4500rpm. From second collection on return trip home - up to 5500 rpm.

In fairness I have actually floored it once other than the above stated and was amazed at its performance (ex VR6, M3, Z4 3.0, 350Z owner).This was on last trip home in fourth and fifth and umm im sure i wasnt on a british motorway at the time!!

Since further smoking - up to 4500 rpm.

Smoke has twice come from under bonnet (left hand side as looked at) and on cold start 8/10 times (inc 2 occasions severely) blue smoke from exhaust.

It should be noted that the vehicle was returned to Andy after first install with 2 oil leaks, one from turbo oil outlet pipe having become detached and one from the main seal on the engine. Clearly there is a solid chance that there is still oil in or around the engine bay and in the exhaust system as a whole.

For the record, I have and do maintain my trust in Williams Engineering where I believe many people would have come on the forum mouthing off. I have enjoyed dealing with Andy and am grateful for his continued support.

I cannot deny that I am disappointed with the continuing issues at this time and the financial burden of the vehicle has to date been mind boggling. I get the impression that is Subaru ownership though!

Last edited by Gutted1974; 07 December 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07 December 2011, 11:20 AM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutted1974
Noted as customer.

Vehicle driven on first collection at no more than 4500rpm. From second collection on return trip home - up to 5500 rpm.

In fairness I have actually floored it once other than the above stated and was amazed at its performance (ex VR6, M3, Z4 3.0, 350Z owner).This was on last trip home in fourth and fifth and umm im sure i wasnt on a british motorway at the time!!

Smoke has twice come from under bonnet (left hand side as looked at) and on cold start 8/10 times (inc 2 occasions severely) blue smoke from exhaust.

It should be noted that the vehicle was returned to Andy after first install with 2 oil leaks, one from turbo oil outlet pipe having become detached and one from the main seal on the engine. Clearly there is a solid chance that there is still oil in or around the engine bay and in the exhaust system as a whole.

For the record, I have and do maintain my trust in Williams Engineering where I believe many people would have come on the forum mouthing off. I have enjoyed dealing with Andy and am grateful for his continued support.

I cannot deny that I am disappointed with the continuing issues at this time and the financial burden of the vehicle has to date been mind boggling. I get the impression that is Subaru ownership though!
I understand your frustration, I will do my best to resolve as quickly as possible. Unfortunately the turbo was a used part and no way of knowing it's history etc.
Old 07 December 2011, 11:31 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off up pipe / downpipe & check for oil in turbo - turbo seals gone.
If so will smoke on hard boost.

Does the "blue-ish" smoke come mainly on start up & worse if sat for longer periods, - if so could be valve stem oil seal.

Check engine oil for fuel contamination & hence over filled, -if so could be a Lamda sensor or leaking injector.

I think the smoke from engine bay, may be a ruse as old spilt oil may just be burning off & smoking??
Old 07 December 2011, 12:05 PM
Gutted1974
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WMS
I understand your frustration, I will do my best to resolve as quickly as possible. Unfortunately the turbo was a used part and no way of knowing it's history etc.
Andy, under the circumstances and the faults that the vehicle has had, I think we have maintained a very positive relationship that is respectful of each others positions, concerns and liabilities.

I have no doubt that you have applied your best efforts and technical abilities to all aspects and the faults have certainly been best described as unlucky rather than through foreseeable technical failings.

I am pleased we are working through this together.
Old 07 December 2011, 12:11 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rickya

Does the "blue-ish" smoke come mainly on start up & worse if sat for longer periods, - if so could be valve stem oil seal.

Check engine oil for fuel contamination & hence over filled, -if so could be a Lamda sensor or leaking injector.

I think the smoke from engine bay, may be a ruse as old spilt oil may just be burning off & smoking??
i.e every time you put your foot down a puff of smoke will come out?

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2011, 12:12 PM
Gutted1974
Scooby Newbie

Will leave Andy to technical stuff... -

The smoke isnt blue ish - it has been dense blue thick smoke on two occasions on start up and on most other start ups there is blue + white smoke for first 90 seconds.

Now I come to think about it on both occasions it smoked really badly it was parked on a hill, interestingly both ways (ie front up and front down). On the flat the smoke is less dense. There is no visible smoke on boost, but i am not going anywhere near boost until car is warmed through and the smoke is visibly gone within the 90seconds to 3 mins from start. Albeit the car constantly has a burning oil smell around it...

I agree the under bonnet smoke is likely a red herring.

Engine oil seems clean and unbelievably doesnt appear to have dropped albeit for engines that are super sensitive to low oil level couldnt they have designed a better dipstick!!! - Blumin ridiculous stick to try and get a perfect read on!!
Old 07 December 2011, 12:15 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Noted as customer.

By oil outlet pipe leak, do you mean the oil drain? If so how was this rectified? Just a normal oil drain gasket?

It does sound like the turbo (I worked in the turbocharger industry for a number of years). If you leave the car idling for a 5-10 minutes after a drive does it start to smoke? Checking the boost pipes for excessive oil doesn't always give a positive dignosis if it's leaking from the turbine end.
Old 07 December 2011, 12:34 PM
WMS
Scooby Regular

There was only 1 oil leak, it was suspected as oil drain/rear crank seal, it was actually the drivers side rear gudgeon pin plate not sealed, once I re-sealed it the leak stopped. Anyone got a good VF35 for sale?
Old 07 December 2011, 01:48 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juggers
i.e every time you put your foot down a puff of smoke will come out?
We'r talking excessive smoke.
Old 07 December 2011, 03:10 PM
Gutted1974
Scooby Newbie

Just as a note - just started it from cold again - it was parked on the same incline that it was on when it smoked like it was on fire a couple of days ago and yes - - same again. Billowing and volumous blue smoke - - literally generates it for 10 seconds then it very quickly reduces to no blue smoke (viewable from mirror) within 15 seconds.

I think Andy is going with the 'its the turbo' as a diagnosis so as he states - anyone got a known VF35 they are selling please post..
Old 07 December 2011, 03:42 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'r talking excessive smoke.
Right that clears that up then.
Old 07 December 2011, 03:49 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Just as a note - just started it from cold again - it was parked on the same incline that it was on when it smoked like it was on fire a couple of days ago and yes - - same again. Billowing and volumous blue smoke - - literally generates it for 10 seconds then it very quickly reduces to no blue smoke (viewable from mirror) within 15 seconds.

I think Andy is going with the 'its the turbo' as a diagnosis so as he states - anyone got a known VF35 they are selling please post..
Does sound like turbo, with the engine cold the the oil passes the turbine ring due to excessive clearances, but once the engine starts to heat up the ring gap seals due to the piston ring expanding and the smoking stops.