Ruining issues on my Wrx.

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2011, 04:01 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ruining issues on my Wrx.

Guys;

I'm having a ruining issue with a MY94-WRX (import). and was wondering if any of you may have any incline to what it could possible be, some how I'm managing to be patient with it but i feel it wont be long till i torch the dam thing!
il start of from the begging sorry if this drags a little.

The car had some small mods and was going well. had it dynoed and all was well.
But after a few weeks the car began to feel flat from around 3,800-4,800rpm.
only so slightly and the idle was abit hit and miss and when starting from cold was a pig and had an ever such small miss fire here and there on idle . The EML flashed up saying there was an error with the ICV and Coolant temp sensor. i also had a small weep of oil around the crank case breather, so i thought ill strip the whole top end off replace the coolant temp sensor, source another ICV and clean the bay in general and put it back together,

Well this took a period of 6 months as not having much time to get on with the car.
The car is put back together and ruining but with the same sort of issues just not as bad. and no EML light up.
With the engine stone cold, flick the key to prime the pump,one primed turn to crank over and it starts as it should then dies within a second or two. crank it again and it starts and idles at around 1,600-1,700rpm. all is fine no miss fire, but after around 3-5mins the car becomes warm the idle is sitting nicely at 1,000rpm. it suddenly starts missing and running lumpy and coughing about. and i cant under stand why its doing this.. i must say last nite it was idiling fine running sweet after setting up the tps thought all was great, went to start the car at lunch today and same problem..

The car has been put back to a pretty much stock car.
just has a 3in de catted system, Hks panel filter, Walbro 255ltr, carbon canister ditched, along with the a/c and using a Dawes device.

Here's the bits I've changed/replaced to try and cure the problem.

Airflow meter- swapped.
oil + filter changed.
Coolant replaced.
plugs standard platinum grade 6 not gapped just fitted from the box.
ICV-swapped.
another loom from a 94wrx as tought maybe a wire is breaking down.
TPS-swapped and set to the correct voltage set up.
ECU-swapped from another 94wrx,
Fresh 20 liters of v-power,
new Subaru coolant temp sensor,
coils- swapped to 4 non cracked versions (awaiting on a set of Newgae to arrive in the post to fit)
NEW genuine gaskets on Tb, Turbo-downpipe, uppipe-turbo, Headers-uppipe, header gaskets, inlet manifold gaskets, ICV gasket, rocker cover gaskets,

any surgestions would be great.

Last edited by scooby kid; 22 November 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 22 November 2011, 04:50 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you checked the ecu for any more fault codes? also have you reset the ecu since swapping p[arts over?

Also can you remove the dawes device & check all the boost piping etc

have you tried swapping the cam sensor with another just to try it even though no fault code?

also there are alot of scoobs with 1st start issues, seems to be quite common, i have repalced everything apart from take the walbro out & put the stock pump back in as it could be over fuelling on start up hence the chugging when starting.
plugs, i & many others only use ngk pfr's either pfr6b (i use) or 7b for more tuned engines.

edit - also check all your air pipes for any leakage

cant think why its cutting out though - you deffo got all the pipes put back for air / petrol ok?

you changed the fuel filter ?

if its cutting out i would be looking at sensors i reckon. try swapping a part to the previous one yoou had, try it etc to start eliminating things.
deffo coil pack wiring & packs themselves ok?

could also be a lambda sensor issue, take out & try cleaning t as that can cause issues if clogged up/knackered.

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 22 November 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 22 November 2011, 05:01 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you just bin the carbon cannister assembly ? mine was mapped at the same time so I assumed compensations were made
Old 22 November 2011, 05:02 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Haven't reset the ecu since doing the change.
i have taken the Dawes off and just looped the Act-turbo together and the same.
i haven't swapped cam sensor over but i do have another so will try that.
I'm running Pfrb 6's.
Haven't changed the fuel filter, is only up to a year old. but can also try that as cheap.
ive tried disconnecting the lambda and the same
Old 22 November 2011, 05:03 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Can you just bin the carbon cannister assembly ? mine was mapped at the same time so I assumed compensations were made
Stu this has been running threw my mind. its just looped in at the moment..