Notices

Loosing my mind over my car...

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2011, 05:41 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosing my mind over my car...

So it all begun when i started hearing a knocking coming from the n/s/f on my Impreza classic Turbo 2000, i decided it was the driveshaft.
I got a second hand driveshaft and the knocking went away but a new problem developed straight away, it was a rotational tapping coming from the n/s/f.
I got it on to a ramp at work and it appeared the flange that's pressed into the hub was wobbling side to side causing the disc to push the pads and make them tap against the calliper, but this wasn't all, it also made the brake pedal drop further down when braking, mainly after i had went around a corner, it seems to me as if the flange was floating all around the place in the bearing/hub and when applying the brake, the brake calliper was just pushing it around untill it had nowhere to go and causing the low pedal.
From this i decided it was the wheel bearing, when i took the wheel off the bearing also had a lot of movement.
So i bought a spare hub with a bearing, ball joint and flange already fitted for a quick swap while i pressed a new bearing into my original hub as it has a Whiteline balljoint in it and it's a lot of effort to get them out without damaging. It also came with a driveshaft so i decided i would put that on also.
I always though that first replacement driveshaft i got started the second issue and so on, the driveshaft is slightly different in a few visual aspects, but both had the ABS, so they must both work?
So i got my old hub off, took the replacement driveshaft out and put the spare hub and driveshaft on, it was running lovely again, apart from the fact there was a clunking sound now when hitting bumps, braking hard and turning! I though, must be a worn ball joint, but doesn't matter, my other hubs going back on soon.
Today I got around to fitting my hub back thinking everything was going to be fine, but...no...the pedal still drops, it still makes a tapping sound, not as much though, it still makes horrible sound when turning and the clunking noise is still there.

****ing raging.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 26 October 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 16 November 2011, 08:59 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

I just put back on the spare hub with bearing, flange, ball joint and driveshaft, the problem has gone away witht the pedal and turning sounds, yet there is still a clonk if i reverse and brake and then go forwards and brake, but it is nowhere near as bad.
I believe the spare and my original driveshaft has a knock and the third i bought a very slight knock, but once it's had it's first clonk going forwards it doesn't clonk till you go backwards and brake.
As for the original hub, bearing and flange, the only things i can think of are the flange is ****ed, i messed up pushing the bearing in or hub is worn, or even a mix off all of them.
Maybe when i have some cash get another bearing and a flange.

Just speaking my mind

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 26 October 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 17 November 2011, 09:24 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

The clunk when gong back/forwards could be the pads slipping up and down in the caliper......
Old 17 November 2011, 01:58 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Too loud to be the pads

I've just been looking at the hub at work and i for the life of me can not work out what the problem is, i put a driveshaft into it and done up the nut at the end and there is no moment in the bearing what so ever when tight, but when loose it is all over the place. I placed a pry bar between the hub and flange when tight and couldn't make it move, i was trying to apply pressure like the weight transfer when driving, but nothing!

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 26 October 2017 at 07:43 PM.