Notices

Any ideas what my problem could be ! Lose off power

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2011, 11:42 AM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas what my problem could be ! Lose off power

Driveing the car at low rev it's fine but as soon as I take the car over 5k it starts to hold back and loses power it's not missing best way i can descrive its like running out off fuel boosting fine around 1 bar still its a 1995 Wrx import any help welcome
Old 13 November 2011, 12:18 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

id check the coil packs fella, pull the rubber cap of the end and check for cracks in the plastic bit where the plug sits,.
Old 13 November 2011, 12:38 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

All ok mate checked them the other day it's not missing it's a hesitation after 5k if I floor it in 1st it feels like it over fuels and try's to cut out!
Old 13 November 2011, 12:40 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

This happend a day after haven my headers fitted not sure if this has any think to do with it
Old 13 November 2011, 02:58 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

what headers have you fitted
Old 16 November 2011, 08:27 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done anything to the car recently.
There are a host of things that could cause this problem starting with a fuel pump or filter issue, coil packs, plugs, cam sensor and so on.
First you need to identify if this is an ignition issue or a fuel issue and this is sometimes difficult.
Even although you have looked at the coil packs a visual inspection often does not throw up an issue.
Why not start by fitting a set of NGK PFR 7B plugs gapped to .6mm. Cost about £35 and a job you can do yourself.
Where are you located?
Old 16 November 2011, 08:55 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

I'm in Coventry mate iv had all the sensor that could course this have been changed so far ie cam sensor ! Matt a pole looked at it but couldnt find the problem iv been told its coil packs because at high Rev feels like its fireing on 3 sweet drivein on low rev pull very well untill 5k then it goes all gay I thought it could be fuel but every think has been swapped ie fuel pump fuel , pump regular I was going to get booked in a have the coil packs upgraded to new age it's £320 fitted going to a place around me called TD raceing

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2011, 09:05 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Start with the cheapest fixes first fuel filter and plugs, also there is a way to check there is a spark, i think you can take a spark out, connect it to the HT lead again, turn the engine over and put it near metal and check for a spark, look that up though. Then if that doesn't work you'll have to work back from the ignition system or fuel system.
You aren't getting any sounds for the rear are you, could mean the fuel system is blocked.

Thanks
Sam
Old 16 November 2011, 09:07 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Woops lol.

Had the mass air flow sensor changed?

Thanks
Sam

Last edited by Saalro; 16 November 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 16 November 2011, 09:18 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

Iv changed the maf Plugs have been swapped plus fuel filter fuel pump has been changed
So know its not that coil packs look ok but like Harvey said still could be F@€¥ed so hopeing it's them and not some think else TD raceing are haven a look sat then booking it in on pay day 4 the coil pack conversion just hope it's not a wast off money and sorts it
Old 16 November 2011, 09:42 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Sucks when you can't find the issue doesn't it lol, in that place now.

Thanks
Sam
Old 17 November 2011, 04:08 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

We have just had a car that has been the worst experience I can remember to eventually come up with the problem and hence solution. We cannot even think about charging the owner for all the time we spent. I felt sorry for him and his pride and joy was causing him and us serious concerns and head scratching. The car just did not want to go. The current owner bought it "cheap" in that condition. It had been in and out of a semi local tuning shop on a number of occassions (where it was sold from)
We had to abort initial mapping as we had a missfire above 4k rpm on load. I also observed it was very lazy. Obviously plugs or coil packs I thought at the time. Plugs were done. Still a missfire. We tried a set of new coil packs, still a missfire so these were removed. No point charging the customer for something he does not need. Cam sensor was badly corroded. Changed. Missfire gone but a serious hesitation issue. Imagine my disappointment. In this case we borrowed a MAF sensor from a similar car so he did not have to pay for a MAF sensor if he did not need it. That was not the problem.
Fuel filter changed and fuel pump removed. Fuel pump looked like a Walbro but no markings on the body and the info had not been ground off (per PPP) Obviously some e-bay "special" There are so many rip offs it is dangerous for the unwarry. New fuel pump fitted. £100. All in. Pun intended. (in tank) Still the hesitation persisted and was possibly worse.
The lap top went on for the fourth time but mapping was out of the question and we did not glean any relavent information. That was last Saturday evening.
This was seriously doing my head in and had become a major challenge. We had not had an experience like this before and I was determined to find the problem.
Darren had previously dropped the down pipe to check the turbo was OK and there were no problems there.
I thought about it, sat down and made a list of what it could be and put them in the order that was easiest and least expensive to deal with. This was last Saturday evening.
1) BOV. Unlikely but worth a try. It was fitted with one of these silly SSQ scare your granny jobs.
2) Crank sensor. Very unlikely. Not that kind of fault but easy to eliminate at little expense if I try a new sensor and remove if OK. A little bit of my time did not matter.
3) Uppipe. Collapsed???
4) Turbo. Darren thought it was OK but let us have it off for examination.
5) Tumbler flaps. Least attractive and most expensive job.

So Sunday I blanked the BOV with a plate for that purpose. Later in the day I went to use the car with a view to acting as a combined test drive. Shock, horror. The problem was even worse, so much so that I turned round less than a mile from home. Getting back required a feather of throttle and about 20mph in third max.
But now the problem was obvious. There was a squealling noise like a stuffed pig. I guessed the uppipe had collapsed and the turbo was goosed.
Relief.
Spare secondhand turbo and new special decat uppipe placed in boot. BOV put back on in place of my blanking plate.
On Monday morning the uppipe and turbo were removed. Absolutely not a problem with the turbo. Amazed.
The uppipe however was the culprit. The CAT had not disintegrated as I had envisaged but the whole CAT section had detached itself from the internals of the uppipe and it was now free to move up and down in the uppipe internal body like a shuttlecock, hence blocking air flow. New uppipe, turbo on and a road test. The car was transformed. Now we need to finish mapping.
The owner collected the car Monday evening and was over the moon.

Looking back I think there were two major issues. The cam sensor causing the missfire (simple) but the uppipe had been getting progressively worse over a period of time, probably since before the car was bought but until the problem got worse we could not identify it. Lessons learned all round and we now have a very happy and appreciative owner.

This little story may give you some pointers and a series of checks to be made.

Last edited by harvey; 17 November 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 17 November 2011, 04:36 AM
djyo
Scooby Regular

I have just replaced my headers. As soon as i did this i lost alot of power.
I didnt replace the gaskets and two studs and two cylinder head holes had been threaded by a last owner now i only get 8psi tops.
Just thought id add that
Old 17 November 2011, 04:38 AM
djyo
Scooby Regular

Isnt the sti ment to get 12 or 13 psi uk gets 10 psi im sure i read that in my help thread
Old 17 November 2011, 07:27 AM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

Ya cheers pal I don't think I have a cat on tho but will deff look at the down pipe 1st thank u Where u from pal
Old 17 November 2011, 02:40 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

djyo : Sounds like you have a massive boost leak. Also check penny valve is seated.