Old 11 November 2011, 02:51 PM
Scooby-Chris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help please

hey all
considering upping the bhp on the scoob
aiming for around 400hp
im just wondering how much the stock internals and gearbox can handle?
also im assuming the new age gearboxes are better so would a newage 05 5speed be more appropriate, and would this fit on my engine?
the car is a 1996 v2 wrx sti

Rough summary of the build Im planning:
td05 20g turbo
550cc injectors
255 fuel pump
full exhaust system
FMIC
external wastegate (not sure on size?)
have also included Mahle pistons and steel rods on my pricing just wondering how much the stock internals can handle as stated
remap and dyno to finish

If anyone could adjust my build planned so its more suited for 400hp and advice me on the gearbox that would be ace

NOTE: I have been using search buttons on about every forum available for subarus and theres so many different opinions etc I cant come to a conclusion so thought id put a post of my own up.
Old 11 November 2011, 03:17 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

400bhp on standard V2 STi engine & box is a big no no. You will need forged internals & ideally a uprated box. 5 speed newage not the best choice. You would be better of with a STi 6 or P1 box, but ideally you want a 6 speed.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 11 November 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11 November 2011, 03:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

factor about £10K should see you there.
Old 11 November 2011, 09:51 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V2 WRX STi is good to around 380 bhp if the engine is in good condition and all your mods are complimentary. 380 bhp is far easier to achieve than 400 bhp which is just a figure and the car will be far more reliable at 380 bhp or thereabouts than it will be at 400 bhp
Old 12 November 2011, 08:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest that even 380bhp is pushing it a bit, (Not that Harvey doesn't know what he is talking about, because he does) But it's a little more complicated than just bolt a load of bits on and hope for the best, Not that there are not people that do it and get away with it, but we usually hear tales but not much in the way of proof, all the chavs have a mate thats running 450bhp on a slanty topmount and cone filter.

Back on track, above 350 ish you will need to factor in gearbox replacement, that will have to be a 6 speed circa £2k you really want forged internals ect ect ect = as above 10k for reliable 400bhp

Or you could bolt on a sti top mount 550 injectors fuel pump and a vf34 remap

And you will see 340/360 bhp and save £8.5K

Or sell yours for 2k and buy a spec c for £12k
Old 12 November 2011, 10:28 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My information is based on practical experience, not just on one car but on numerous cars, ver 1 and 2 WRX running around 380 bhp on road fuel and a bit more with meths or a small amount of meths just to get to the 380 mark.
I don't want to argue with you but here is more information.
The turbo would be one of my TD05 20Gs with 550 injectors. Ported or tubular headers but if using tubular, my trick 3 bolt uppipe. Preferably Simtek but possibly Apexi for cheapness mapped by Bob Rawle. Hybrid Front Mount Intercooler, the GT is quite capable at £335.
You will break your TY752 gearbox in time and a TY754 gearbox which is a quarter of the price of a six speed is quite adequate. I have run several of these beyond 500 bhp.
An STi top mount would be a step backwards if you want to make 380 bhp and the cost of an STi top mount, plus bonnet scoop, plus undertray, plus fitting properly will not show a big saving on a Hybrid GT.
Selecting the right parts, fitting them properly and getting the car mapped by a competant mapper is the way to get 380 bhp on the above spec. Boost will depend on WRX or STi pistons. Excessive boost not required. No need to run to the red line as it is slower to accellerate than finding the optimum change up point and providing the car is given time to warm up, does not do F1 starts from every set of traffic lights, has regular oil changes of the right oil, runs on V-Power or Mementum only possibly with some NF and allowed to cool down properly, it will be a reliable car on both road and track providing you start with an engine in good condition and capable of rolling road runs around 380 bhp and 340-350 ft.lbs.
Old 13 November 2011, 12:04 PM
Scooby-Chris
Scooby Regular

well the engine was rebuilt around a year ago and has done maybe 10k since. So the stock internals and box should handle upto 380hp? and what would be the best turbo to go for 380hp? appreciate the help guys

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2011, 04:45 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Read post 6