Notices

Buying a second hand turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2011, 07:32 PM
smithy86
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a second hand turbo advice

hi guys..looking at buying a second hand tdo5 for my classic uk and wanted to know what things should i be looking for?the seller has said that there is no play in the shaft and its only covered a 4k.
Old 09 November 2011, 07:37 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

what kind off TD05 & where from?
Old 09 November 2011, 07:38 PM
smithy86
Scooby Regular

just a private sale of someone who is breaking a classic..i guess it has come from an import wrx as its on a uk classic now.
Old 09 November 2011, 07:46 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by smithy86
hi guys..looking at buying a second hand tdo5 for my classic uk and wanted to know what things should i be looking for?the seller has said that there is no play in the shaft and its only covered a 4k.
Td05 turbo's are very tough little units and generally don't give too many headaches. There will be some bearing play from side to side (>1mm) which is taken up by oil when its running. There should be NO end float at all, if there is the thrust bearing is shot and will need a rebuild, this will also often be backed up by witness marks on the compressor housing where the blades have touched.

Check both the compressor and turbine blades for broken blade tips or FOD (foreign object damage) which can weaken a blade. Blades breaking off is not a good thing as they can be sucked into the engine. Pay careful attention to compressor blades as they can see pitting on the surfaces where air filters haven't been changed regularly enough and grit sand blasts the surface of the blades, thus weakening them.

Check the housings for condition and make sure there's no damaged threads, studs etc. Check the that the wastegate is not cracked which can happen over many heat cycles and can result in poor boost control, or low/no boost in extreme cases. Check the wastegate arm moves freely and isn't warped or seized. If the turbo is supplied with an actuator, check it moves in and out freely and there should be resistance felt from the spring, and check the circlip is there to keep it attached to the wastegate arm.

Finally, check that the turbo actually is what it's advertised as. Quite often people buy them without realising that it's not the turbo they thought it was and the sender was confused or ill advised. It'll say Td05 on it on the compressor housing.

Hope that helps .
Old 09 November 2011, 07:48 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smithy86
just a private sale of someone who is breaking a classic..i guess it has come from an import wrx as its on a uk classic now.
What kind of TD05? 16G, 18G? 16G has a different housing, so wont be direct bolt on.
Old 09 November 2011, 10:33 PM
smithy86
Scooby Regular

micadan that is a hell of a list of things to check..thanks for the advice mate.

im not sure what type of tdo5 it is as it was just advertised as a tdo5.he did say that its been converted to fit a uk turbo.