Notices

Advice- decat to centre pipe gasket ??

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2011, 05:52 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice- decat to centre pipe gasket ??

Guys, looking for a bit off advice on the following ??!! - the cone gasket that is used to join the midpipe decat pipe to the resonated centre pipe on the blobeye - should it lay flush when offerred up to the pipe that it joins ie. the centre pipe ??

to be honest not very clued up on the mechanical side off things !! and just collecting everything required prior to having my new exhaust system fitted, at first I thought the flange on the end off the centre pipe was to big as when put flat to flat with the decat pipe it was quickly apparant that something was not right ie. the holes did not line up. then I realised rather than a flat type gasket it uses a cone type gasket, put the cone gasket on the end off the decat midpipe and offered it up to the centre pipe , I can now see that with using a cone gasket why the bolt holes should be wider but just a bit unsure how it all works- I take it the cone gasket does not infact fit flush ie the two metal flanges off the two pipes dont sit face to face ??

lastly, am I right in saying there are springs as well as bolts used in the joining off these two pipes ??
Old 24 October 2011, 11:04 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently I'm running without a cone so they do sit flush, but with the cone there is normally some gap. The idea is to allow the exhaust to flex around the cone gasket to compensate for engine movement hence the cone and spring bolt set-up. Without this set-up and the fact that there is no flexi-joint in the system there is a risk that the exhaust could crack if the amount of movement is more than the exhaust rubbers can deal with.

And yes, between the downpipe and centre the bolts should have springs on them. The bolts include a taper to locate the springs and the flange is usually counter sunk on the centre pipe to allow the fitment. The downpipe flange on the factory system (second cat pipe) is usually threaded so no need for a bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	6876  
Old 25 October 2011, 12:49 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks so much for that, youve explained it perfectly and certainly a bit wiser to how it all works now !!

cheers mate.

john
Old 15 November 2011, 01:22 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay guys never did get around to getting the new exhaust fitted, but going to try get around to getting it done within the next few weeks . okay just re reading the above - are you saying the oval shaped flat gasket between the mid decat pipe and the downpipe on the newage wrx should also have these spring / bolt set up or is just the mid decat pipe to centre pipe that requires them ie. where the cone gasket is used ??