Notices

ppp v remap on blobeye ??

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2011, 01:09 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ppp v remap on blobeye ??

As I am still in the process off buying or two bits prior to getting my 2005 blobeye wrx ( afterburner vortex bb / resonated centre / midpipe decat / 255 fuel pump just wonder how safe is it having the car remaped ?? I belive the PPP amongst other bits and pieces inluded a tweeked ecu, is a remap on the blobeye normally around the levels off boost / reliablty that the ppp kit had or do most tuners try to gain slightly more than what this kit gave ??

any long term downsides to having the car mapped to this fairly basic level off tuneie. backbox/ midpipe decat and remap ??
Old 24 October 2011, 01:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

first off forget the ppp, its totaly the wrong parts for it.

Only downside is cost, you'll have to pay again to get it done again when you change the parts
Old 24 October 2011, 01:22 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
first off forget the ppp, its totaly the wrong parts for it.

Only downside is cost, you'll have to pay again to get it done again when you change the parts
Sorry mate youve kinda lost me there ??!!

as far as I know the PPP kit consisted off amongst possibly other bits and pieces :

1/ midpipe decat
2/ tweeked ecu
3/ blue silicone hose in engine bay

Not sure why you are saying its all totally wrong parts ?? yep the ecu was for the earlier bugeye or did they do one for the blobeye ?? the silicone hose is well...a silicon hose !!! a prodrive midpipe decat is the same as a scorpion midpipe decat on both the blob and bugeye and the ecu being tweeked is what the remap on my own car is getting ???!!

all I am asking is do most mappers try and replicate what boost settings etc the PPP kit / tweeks gives ??

and as I say gathering everything before getting it mapped.

lastly- pay to get a remap all over again - surely just a tweek to the map like anyone else ??!!

Last edited by jono300; 24 October 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 24 October 2011, 01:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

are the specific ppp parts? vortex bb isn't, you'd be better off going full decat panel filter and remap.

As far as boost profile a remap should be totaly custom to your car, so will way outperform a ppp map.

As far as tweek or full map depends what you go from too. In theory yes its a tweek, but not always the case.

Sorry to be a bit none comital, but its not a simple subject lol
Old 24 October 2011, 01:32 PM
syko89
Scooby Regular

As far as im aware the PPP pack consists of, uprated fuel pump, ecu remap, sports cat and cat back.

No idea what he means by the wrong parts?!

Prodrive pack will give 301bhp with these mods, but if you go down the route of a full decat exhaust and a remap you should see around 320-330bhp.

The benefit of the prodrive pack is that it doesnt void the warrenty, but they are all out of warrenty now anyway.
Old 24 October 2011, 01:38 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
are the specific ppp parts? vortex bb isn't, you'd be better off going full decat panel filter and remap.

As far as boost profile a remap should be totaly custom to your car, so will way outperform a ppp map.

As far as tweek or full map depends what you go from too. In theory yes its a tweek, but not always the case.

Sorry to be a bit none comital, but its not a simple subject lol
Okay not a problem mate appreciatte what you are saying but dont think you are really getting what the basis off my questions were ?? was only talking about the PPP kit as a refrence level . basically what I am asking - is a remap etc stressing the engine more than what the factory PPP kit does ?? - are you to near the edge with regards safety limits if you like ??

As I say not looking for a PPP kit already have the Vortex backbox which is better than the Prodrive box anyway !! as I have said the midpipe decat is excatly the same pipe as the PPP one and the silicone pipe in the engine bay has already been fitted by previous owner just looking to get my uprated fuel pump fitted and then finally get the car mapped.

sorry meant to say already have a k+n panel filter fitted and dont really want to go full decat for several reasons

1/ cost / effort for overall gains
2/ uncertainty regards cat removal within future mot legalistaion
3/ am sure the vortex backbox/ midpipe decat will provide enough noise !

Last edited by jono300; 24 October 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 24 October 2011, 01:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by syko89
As far as im aware the PPP pack consists of, uprated fuel pump, ecu remap, sports cat and cat back.

No idea what he means by the wrong parts?!

Prodrive pack will give 301bhp with these mods, but if you go down the route of a full decat exhaust and a remap you should see around 320-330bhp.

The benefit of the prodrive pack is that it doesnt void the warrenty, but they are all out of warrenty now anyway.

as i've said above the ppp doesn't use a vortex back box, also different cats flow different rates, so unless they are a correct match then they may well not work with a ppp map.

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2011, 01:39 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay not a problem mate appreciatet what you are saying but dont think you are really egtting what the basis off my questions were ?? was only talking about the PPP kit as a refrence level ie. basically is a remap etc stressing the engine more than what the factory PPP kit does - are you to near the edge with regards safety limits if you like ??

As I say not looking for a PPP kit already have the Vortex backbox which is better than the Prodrive box anyway !! as I have said the midpipe decat is excatly the same pipe as the PPP one and the silicone pipe in the engine bay has already been fitted by previous owner just looking to get my uprated fuel pump fitted and then finally get the car mapped.

sorry meant to say already have a k+n panel filter fitted and dont really want to go full decat for several reasons

1/ cost / effort for overall gains
2/ uncertainty regards ct removal within future mot legalistaion
3/ am sure the vortex backbox/ midpipe decat will provide enough noise !
If that what you wanna go with then get it mapped for that, the next step after you'll prob be lookign at turbo uograde etc so your talking alot more money.
Old 24 October 2011, 01:43 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

PPP on a newage WRX is indeed decat pipe, silicone IC Y pipe, backbox and (replacement) remaped ECU which should give ~265bhp. The exhaust and induction mods are also the standard ones people tend to go for when having their cars remaped too.

However, if you use a PPP ECU now and then wanted to "tweak" the map in the future, then you'll have to pay for an Ecutek license as well as the mappers time (unless you go open source that is).

I think what Tidgy is trying to say is that, you may as well just get your ECU remapped to go with your new parts rather than trying to find a PPP ECU. Also, a custom map tends to release more power than the standard PPP map since the Prodrive map is still quite conservative - you can usually squeeze and extra 10-20bhp out over the PPP map.

It all depends on whether you're likely to want more power in the long run.

I'm just about to fit a PPP ECU (plus the other bits) to mine as I've had a previous PPP WRX and was very happy with the performance, therefore I do not intend to go for any further power hikes. Also, I was able to source all the parts for around half the cost of an EcuTek remap so for me it makes sense to go the DIY PPP route.
Old 24 October 2011, 01:45 PM
syko89
Scooby Regular

ahh sorry i read it wrong, i thought he was asking whats the better option between ppp and remapping with other parts.

Jono, a remap on a full exhaust wont be stressing the engine too much, you may want to go a little easy on teh clutch though.

I dont know about the silicone pipe, but i dont think my PPP has one.

Unless you going for a full decat, i dont think you will see much gain over the PPP pack, and i wouldnt bother uprating teh fuel pump as the PPP already has an uprated one.
Old 24 October 2011, 01:57 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

ahh sorry i read it wrong, i thought he was asking whats the better option between ppp and remapping with other parts.

Jono, a remap on a full exhaust wont be stressing the engine too much, you may want to go a little easy on the clutch though.

I dont know about the silicone pipe, but i dont think my PPP has one.

Unless you going for a full decat, i dont think you will see much gain over the PPP pack, and i wouldnt bother uprating teh fuel pump as the PPP already has an uprated one.
Okay cheers guys again appreciatte that and sorry if it was possibly the wording off my question that had you confused ??!!

nope not looking for a PPP ecu just getting the car mapped once everthing is in place.

okay thanks for the advice re the clutch - okay advice very much noted !!

interesting your thoughts on the uprated fuel pump, again dont understand why you are saying the PPP kit already has one fitted - dont have a PPP kit !!

most mappers I have spoken to say its a " safe " upgrade at this level off tune especially as the standard pump may now be " tired " !!

again from what I have read not all PPP cars had the uprated fuel pump fitted some did/ some did not ??

anyway again thanks for advice, just thought I would ask but apart from going easy on the cluch a remap etc is not going to cause too much more stress to the engine.

Last edited by jono300; 24 October 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 24 October 2011, 02:14 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Only the STi PPP included an uprated fuel pump (STi PPP also included a sports cat downpipe as well as the decat center pipe). All PPP's have the uprated IC Y pipe.
Old 24 October 2011, 02:28 PM
syko89
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression you had a PPP pack and wondered whether changing the exhaust and remapping would benefit it. My bad...

Out of the two options i would go the afterburner and remap route. My STI came with a PPP pack and im considering changing the exhaust to emphasis the burble a little more (the prodrive just seems a little quiet).
Old 24 October 2011, 02:32 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gigsy
PPP on a newage WRX is indeed decat pipe, silicone IC Y pipe, backbox and (replacement) remaped ECU which should give ~265bhp. The exhaust and induction mods are also the standard ones people tend to go for when having their cars remaped too.

However, if you use a PPP ECU now and then wanted to "tweak" the map in the future, then you'll have to pay for an Ecutek license as well as the mappers time (unless you go open source that is).

I think what Tidgy is trying to say is that, you may as well just get your ECU remapped to go with your new parts rather than trying to find a PPP ECU. Also, a custom map tends to release more power than the standard PPP map since the Prodrive map is still quite conservative - you can usually squeeze and extra 10-20bhp out over the PPP map.

It all depends on whether you're likely to want more power in the long run.

I'm just about to fit a PPP ECU (plus the other bits) to mine as I've had a previous PPP WRX and was very happy with the performance, therefore I do not intend to go for any further power hikes. Also, I was able to source all the parts for around half the cost of an EcuTek remap so for me it makes sense to go the DIY PPP route.
Agreed...

I have an 05 WRX and my mate has an 03 WRX, mine has had an Ecutek map and full decat, 3" and cold air induction mounted behind the fog light housing, and his has the PPP.

Mine stamps all over his, been mapped almost a year now and it's totally safe and reliable.

Future maps when I've done the turbo, intercooler and injectors will be much cheaper on the Ecutek than PPP is should imagine.
Old 24 October 2011, 02:43 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression you had a PPP pack and wondered whether changing the exhaust and remapping would benefit it. My bad...

Out of the two options i would go the afterburner and remap route. My STI came with a PPP pack and im considering changing the exhaust to emphasis the burble a little more (the prodrive just seems a little quiet).
Let me know if you do, I may have the PPP box off you (assuming you were planning on selling it ).
Old 24 October 2011, 02:48 PM
syko89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gigsy
Let me know if you do, I may have the PPP box off you (assuming you were planning on selling it ).

I was umming and arring on whether to keep if when it comes to re-selling the car, ut if i do sell i will be in touch
Old 24 October 2011, 05:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typed a reply two hours ago but taken that long to get a good enough phone signal to post it lol I am posting it anyway!

No assuming all healthy now then remap should cause no more stress, if anything setup correctly and safely it should last longer.

Alterations to increase sensitivity of knock control, custom adjust ignition and fuelling to your specific car and mods fitted all add safety, alone wit allowing extra throttle response and torque and power and better mpg in normal driving.

Simon
Old 24 October 2011, 05:56 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay perfect all sounds fine !! simon dont think I ever got this answered here on scoobynet ??!! can you advise what boost level a standard blob wrx should be running and what a safe remap boost level will be ?? and what revs should the turbo kick in standard / remapped ??
Old 24 October 2011, 09:26 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Standard boost if I remember correct is 0.7bar.

Once mapped will vary from car to car on what makes best power but usually in region of 1.2bar.

I might have a graph on my facebook page linked below, sorry on phone so cant easily post a link to one.

Simon
Old 24 October 2011, 09:57 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Excellent, as always appreciatte the excellent info given !! any idea regards the revs the blobeye wrx should have the turbo comming in standard versus remapped ??
Old 25 October 2011, 07:54 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Thats not a question with a quick answer.

What gear?

Load has a huge influence on spool and the higher the gear the greater the load.

One of the objectives of a remap is to get the turbo to spool as early as possible but there are limits to how much it can be adjusted as it is only possible to adjust within the limits of the exhaust flow and turbo size etc. usually 200-300rp. Sooner than standard is possible.

Simon
Old 25 October 2011, 09:14 AM
mmcd87
Scooby Regular

As an indicator, my '05 WRX PPP starts to build boost noticeably from 2000rpm and peaks at 3000rpm (noticeable shove as it hits the latter). From the OEM Lamco gauge, this is around 1.25bar.
Old 25 October 2011, 09:37 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers guys again thats great, learning all the time !!!