dump valve sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2011, 10:43 AM
chris1stscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump valve sticking?

hi
my 1996 wrx v limited seems to be idleing funny and occasionally cutting out when slowing right down. checked out the dump valve and it seems to be sticking open releasing all the pressure i assume this is the cause of it cutting out???
was driving it hard the other night eased off the gas, dump valve went hisss but after that i whooshing noise carried on for a couple of seconds. could this also be a faulty dump valve? or are the problems im having likely to be something other than the dump valve??
help please thanks!
Old 08 October 2011, 11:11 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be the dump valve , to be sure ,which make of dumpvalve is it?? .
Start off by removing it and taking it apart and give it a good clean inside & out, and then see how the car runs.
If that does not work try sticking a std recirculating valve back on and chances are that may solve your problem . Have you checked to see if it isthrowing up any engine fault codes ??.
Old 08 October 2011, 11:33 AM
chris1stscooby
Scooby Regular

yes mate its showing knock sensor ive got one ordered as i didnt think it would be related to the dump valve issue. im looking at a forge recirculating dump valve are they as easy to fit as a bov? ive had the dump valve off cant see any make on it though think its just a cheap one. when i bought it the bloke had a bailey trumpet one on it but it was **** on idle so he swapped it before i picked the car up so he prob just bought the cheapist he could find!!
is it sounding like a dodgy dump valve or could it be intercooler,pipes or even turbo thats causing it to stick??
Old 08 October 2011, 12:07 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try putting a recirc back on 1st as it is the cheapest/ simplest option. A forge recirc does the same thing as a std unit they are just stronger and not prone to crack like some of the oe ones can . Dead say to fit ,you just need to remove the bung from your recirc inlet tract.
Old 08 October 2011, 02:00 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

I had the exact same problem with my car too. It had a well lane turbos VTA dump valve on it. If i revved and let off it caused the car to nearly cut out. you could see the valve seat through the body not closing properly. I replaced it with a forge VTA unit and it cured it.