Notices

could it be the head gasket :(

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2011, 09:03 PM
COBRA666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question could it be the head gasket :(

hi again folks rite i have a water leak somewhere i filled the plastic header tank up a few days back and checked it today and it was empty bar a small amount of water at the very bottom so ive topped it up again and will see whats been lost in the morning i also have loss of power like its running rough in low revs this had been pointed out to be more than likely the lambda sensor it also has a oil leak from the rocker cover...

the temp never goes past half way
the hot and cold blower is fine
theres no water in the oil

ive had the car nearly 3 weeks and done around 80 miles in it mainly a few miles a day to and from work

also want to say thanks to JDM_stig for all the help hes given and for beying very patient. any help in the most simple terms as possible please not in the slightest mechanically minded
Old 04 October 2011, 09:13 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COBRA666
hi again folks rite i have a water leak somewhere i filled the plastic header tank up a few days back and checked it today and it was empty bar a small amount of water at the very bottom so ive topped it up again and will see whats been lost in the morning i also have loss of power like its running rough in low revs this had been pointed out to be more than likely the lambda sensor it also has a oil leak from the rocker cover...

the temp never goes past half way
the hot and cold blower is fine
theres no water in the oil

ive had the car nearly 3 weeks and done around 80 miles in it mainly a few miles a day to and from work

also want to say thanks to JDM_stig for all the help hes given and for beying very patient. any help in the most simple terms as possible please not in the slightest mechanically minded
Head gaskets one of the more common things m8
Old 04 October 2011, 09:32 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Check for leaks anywhere, especially the water pump which can leak a bit, then stop leaking, then start again!
The head gasket situation would be due to cylinder pressure leaking into the water jacket under boost. This would lift the pressure cap if the pressure is high enough then force water out into the plastic tank. Theoretically, the water would be sucked back in as the engine cools. The plastic tank might be empty when cold even though it was full from hot. If you run out of coolant in the header tank, the car may overheat due to a lack of coolant.
Imprezas with metal head gaskets don't normally oil/water mix as the failure isn't usually bad enough to compromise that part of the head seal.
Keep an eye on the water level, only checking the header tank itself from cold.
Old 04 October 2011, 09:49 PM
COBRA666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Check for leaks anywhere, especially the water pump which can leak a bit, then stop leaking, then start again!
The head gasket situation would be due to cylinder pressure leaking into the water jacket under boost. This would lift the pressure cap if the pressure is high enough then force water out into the plastic tank. Theoretically, the water would be sucked back in as the engine cools. The plastic tank might be empty when cold even though it was full from hot. If you run out of coolant in the header tank, the car may overheat due to a lack of coolant.
Imprezas with metal head gaskets don't normally oil/water mix as the failure isn't usually bad enough to compromise that part of the head seal.
Keep an eye on the water level, only checking the header tank itself from cold.
thanks for taking the time to reply another thing is im not finding any water patches at home or at the car park i use for work, ive topped it up to the max line with a anti freeze/coolant water mix in the plastic bottle will check in the morning not having a great deal of luck at the moment just hope its not the head gasket and i doubt its my luck for it to be just a water hose
Old 05 October 2011, 12:11 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Check radiator and coolant fill tank as well, these may have reduced coolant levels.
Old 05 October 2011, 02:35 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car? Are you checking the overflow bottle at the passenger wing, or the metal header tank with the high pressure cap?
The plastic one should be empty when cold?
Old 05 October 2011, 08:27 AM
COBRA666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
What year is your car? Are you checking the overflow bottle at the passenger wing, or the metal header tank with the high pressure cap?
The plastic one should be empty when cold?
hi its 1 1998 R reg non turbo, im checking the plastic bottle in the wing mate so it should be empty anyway????

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2011, 08:56 AM
COBRA666
Scooby Regular

just checked theres water in the radiator and its clean and the plastic tank is still full no signs of leaks on any hoses
Old 05 October 2011, 11:31 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Nothing you've said so far makes me think you have a head gasket problem.
Old 05 October 2011, 06:16 PM
COBRA666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Nothing you've said so far makes me think you have a head gasket problem.

i had the head gasket test done today on the way to work he said its fine but did have to much water in it, also told me to keep a eye on the water level and not to keep topping it up via the plastic expansion bottle so could this be what ive been worrying about for nothing? because i saw the plastic bottle with no water in ive been filling it up

thanks again to all that have replied

anyone no why my speedo sticks on 45mph and works when it wants to