Notices

More classic resonator removal - not the one in the wing!

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2011, 09:31 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More classic resonator removal - not the one in the wing!

Morning folks,

From what I've read tehre seems to be 2 resonator boxes on early classic. (mine's a '93).
I'm assuming whatever it is in the wing is still there as i have a short plastic pipe protruding through the inner wing into the engine bay where the airbox would have been. (I'm running a cone filter).

Due to some issues with the filter not being supported previously and flopping about (now remedied) the resonator after the maf was hitting the brake master cylinder and had a hole in it. Simon at JGM advised me that I should sort this as it will be allowing unmetered air to enter the engine.

Whilst rooting through my box of bits that came with the car on the weekend, I found what appears to be a zero sports resonator delete pipe. (basically a tapered chrome pipe with an angled take off for the hose to the inlet and a bit of silicone hose on the other end that the filter conencts to.
I've fitted this pipe and the filter seems to be in a much better location in that none of the pipework is going anywhere near the offending master cylinder.

sorry, no pics of mine, but it doesn't look too dissimilar to this:

My question is this... The increase in induction noise is very evident.. particularly the compressor stall which is now really loud... but is that literally the ONLY effect of fitting this pipe assuming all hoses are tightened and not leaking?
I suspect it's just the extra noise, but the car sounds like the turbo is boosting much harder than it was, which i want to avoid as it was getting towards being too lean at the top end when i was on the Surrey rollers the other thursday. No boost gauge in the car for me to confirm/deny this either unfortunately... it's on the shopping list, but i figured better to sort out the leaky resonator asap rather than wait!

Last edited by markb_s1; 04 October 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04 October 2011, 10:13 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 04 October 2011, 10:43 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres no return for the idle or boost pressure in that pipe. On a standard set up your boost is undoubtedly compromised as will the idle be.
Old 04 October 2011, 10:47 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Not sure what you mean to be honest.. mine's not exactly like that - there's the main body of the pipe, plus a take off for what i estimate a 1 inch diameter hose that routes back onto the inlet manifold. the pipe was originally attached to the resonator box.
the resonator had no other pipes connected, and no fttings to do so that i could see...

Last edited by markb_s1; 04 October 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04 October 2011, 12:07 PM
Scooby Senior

The resonator has two pipes that go into it. The Idle Regulator and the Air Pressure Control. Sometime with induction they provide a hole in the filter to relocate the APC pipe, but it should in ALL cases (V1/2 Imprezas) have originally been routed to the resonator

Best hard pipe replacement Induction kit for original pipe locations is the APexi one which has both the IRV and APC pipe inlets included. You can see it in the middle of the pic

Old 04 October 2011, 12:43 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that... I see what you mean now.
for the bigger pipe covered, but there's definitely no fitment on the hard pipe OR the resonator for the smaller hose.

thinking about it, i believe that is the one that should be connected to the boost solenoid? my solenoid (3 port) bottom connection currently just goes to atmosphere, which i was previously told shouldn't cause major problems.

edit to add - that kit does look a fair bit better designed than the zero sports one on mine!
Old 04 October 2011, 01:01 PM
Scooby Senior

The resonator would have had a pin connection for the APC (solenoid pipe ) at some point, but they always snap off leaving a hole

Post a pic of your resonator box

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2011, 01:16 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

not got a pic handy to be honest... probably a good job as it's a mess! but i'll get one on weds when i'm back home.
Old 04 October 2011, 01:16 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

P.S. thanks for the help!
Old 04 October 2011, 01:22 PM
Scooby Senior

No probs
Old 06 October 2011, 09:31 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

pic of the new setup...

as you can see, doesn't look a patch on the apexi one!