Newage bleeding brakes from empty res

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2011, 01:03 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Newage bleeding brakes from empty res

Hi

What is the best way of bleeding the brakes on a newage sti from an empty reservoir?

Thanks
Harry
Old 01 October 2011, 03:16 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi mate if the reservoir is empty.you have a leak.it could be comeing from a pipe or a caliper or master cylinder.the best way to bleed the brakes is fill your res up first then go to the rear calipers and undo the bleed nippel .till the fluid starts to run out,then put a pipe onto the nippel other end into a jar with some fluid in it and get some one to press the brake pedal up and down slowly till all the air has come out of the pipe the do the same with all the rest of the calipers.its the way ive done it for years and it allways works and i mean years iam a old gitt .hope this helps mate
Old 01 October 2011, 03:28 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy gee
hi mate if the reservoir is empty.you have a leak.it could be comeing from a pipe or a caliper or master cylinder.the best way to bleed the brakes is fill your res up first then go to the rear calipers and undo the bleed nippel .till the fluid starts to run out,then put a pipe onto the nippel other end into a jar with some fluid in it and get some one to press the brake pedal up and down slowly till all the air has come out of the pipe the do the same with all the rest of the calipers.its the way ive done it for years and it allways works and i mean years iam a old gitt .hope this helps mate
Thanks for the reply mate.

I had a braided hose split on me dumping all the brake fluid, i fitted new hoses and bled the system twice but still have a slightly spongy pedal... :

Anyone have any experience of running a newage STI brake system dry and bleeding it successfully?
Old 01 October 2011, 03:38 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

if you have been pumping the pedel for a long time mate the fluid tends to airiate,the best way is to stop pumping the pedal mate and let it sit over night and you prob find the pedal comes good,you will find small bubbles in the res
Old 01 October 2011, 03:49 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Bleed syphons are great, I use one at work. put the pipe on the nipple, loosen nipple and pump the syphon. this sucks the fluid/air out. There not to dear either
Old 01 October 2011, 08:47 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

I managed to successfully bleed my ap's with an empty reservoir on a newage sti.

you need two people to do it.

fill the reservoir all the way to the top, over the max and pump the brakes, keep pumping and filling until it won't take anymore. The pedal will feel nasty at this point and go to the floor.

Tell the person in the car to pump the pedal once and keep it pressed, you open the nipple and let the fluid bleed out, tighten the nipple and and come off the pedal. Keep repeating this until fresh fluid is coming out with a constant flow, then repeat on all nipples. Top up reservoir as you go along, NEVER let it empty, always keep above MIN.

Bleed every nipple on the all calipers, front and back.

When finished you should have clean/fresh fluid coming out of every nipple and the pedal should be rock hard.

Once done, top up to the MAX mark, don't go over and put cap back on.
During this never turn the car on and don't let the reservoir empty.

If after this your pedal is still spongy then there is something else wrong with the car, master cylinder leak or servo problem or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Billet; 01 October 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02 October 2011, 01:31 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tazz
I managed to successfully bleed my ap's with an empty reservoir on a newage sti.

you need two people to do it.

fill the reservoir all the way to the top, over the max and pump the brakes, keep pumping and filling until it won't take anymore. The pedal will feel nasty at this point and go to the floor.

Tell the person in the car to pump the pedal once and keep it pressed, you open the nipple and let the fluid bleed out, tighten the nipple and and come off the pedal. Keep repeating this until fresh fluid is coming out with a constant flow, then repeat on all nipples. Top up reservoir as you go along, NEVER let it empty, always keep above MIN.

Bleed every nipple on the all calipers, front and back.

When finished you should have clean/fresh fluid coming out of every nipple and the pedal should be rock hard.

Once done, top up to the MAX mark, don't go over and put cap back on.
During this never turn the car on and don't let the reservoir empty.

If after this your pedal is still spongy then there is something else wrong with the car, master cylinder leak or servo problem or whatever.

Hope this helps.
Nice one

Sounds good, i'll get some more fluid in and re-bleed the system properly next week.