Notices

Glass

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2011, 06:59 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Glass

Hello, My windscreen has what seems to be tiny chips all over it. It almost looks like someone has sprayed the car with glitter paint or something.

I have tried most cleaning things to see if that would help but nothing, i have tried a blade to see if it is paint but nothing comes off. Some one mentioned that maybe someone has been grinding new my car and the sparks have do the damage. I dont know!

Is there a way (apart from smashing it and getting a new one on insurance, Cause I dont have windscreen cover) to try and sort this out. Can you sand glass with a fine paper far enough down to get rid of these shinny chips?

It's quite hard to see out of when the sun is on it.

Failing all attempts where can I get a new windscreen from?

Thanks Claire
Old 28 September 2011, 07:07 PM
Mr Windscreen
Scooby Regular

You are looking at a new screen as i,ve seen this damage before. Try phoning around the different windscreen companies for a price as it varies quite a lot.
Old 28 September 2011, 07:38 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Can't you get it added to your policy, Mine was covered i run auto glass saying that i would like a new screen as visibility isn't great when sun is out, There replaced it for £50
Old 28 September 2011, 09:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

shane: just be a BIT careful here. What you seem to be suggesting on a public forum is fraud, pure and simple.

Claire: how old is the car? TBH, it's due to tiny stone chips over a long period. Mine had the same, I put up with it for a while, then it DID get a chip that couldn't be mended, and had a new screen. THAT was a joke as four weeks later it had to be re-done as water was p!ssing in and all the passenger side carpets were soaked
Old 30 September 2011, 07:13 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

I'm worried about leaks if I get it done, but it is really hard to see through when the sun is out tho! They are tiny tiny chips, like glitter!
Old 30 September 2011, 07:21 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

if you cant see through it pal get the bloody thing out asap,., i got one from a local breakers i got the fitter to remove it from the breakers car and fit it in mine for £30 and the screen only cost £20 from the breakers so it can be done cheap but for the love of god get it done before somthing happens you will regret,

steve,.