Winscreen washer problem help please

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2011, 03:29 AM
SubbyG00n
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winscreen washer problem help please

hi!
I'm having an issue with my front windscreen washer. It was working when i bought the car and half way through a journey it stopped working and didn't start again.
The pump isn't making any noise at all so i got a new pump and fitted that and tried again but I have the same problem not making any noise and no pumping.
My windscreen wipers still go and my rear washer still works. I've unpluged the pipe in case it was blocked and still nothing. I checked the fuses under the steering wheel and they are all fine.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
My MOT's due - dunno if this would be a fail but i'd imagine it would?
Old 27 September 2011, 07:35 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

There is also a fuse box in the engine bay. You could try there? Sounds like a small issue, but I do believe it is a MOT failure
Old 27 September 2011, 08:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, I assume you aren't just pulling the stalk and expecting wash/wipe? I know, I know, but it's not unheard of Remember that PUSHING the end of the stalk is what gives wash?

If this is OK, first off, remove the washer reservoir and with it the pump. Two bolts, (best replacesd with stainless), and two pipes to undo IF it has headlight washers, one if not, plus the electrical connector.

Once it's out, remove the pump, (it just pulls out), backflush, soak for ten minutes in decent kitchen cleaner, NOT bleach, and backflush again.

While you are doing this and the next bit, spray inside reservoir with said kitchen cleaner and leave to soak.

Now take the pump outside, and with two bits of wire, briefly flash it directly across battery terminals.
Does it run? If so, we need to look at the connector next. If not, there is your problem.

So..it DOES run? Next look at the connector, both on the pump and on the car loom. Any sign of corrosion? If so, out with the emery cloth.

If not, get out your circuit tester, (you DO have a circuit tester, don't you? A multimeter? No? Buy one or the other, circuit tester about £4 from carshop),

Place one end of CT/MM on to battery -ve, then, while somone in the car holds down the wash button, (ignition on?), probe the connector for lives.

Can't find one? It MAY be the stalk. Or the wiring inbetween. The first is a fairly easy repair, the second, not so

When re-assembling, first wash out reservoir, then use power washer on/in it if available.
Old 27 September 2011, 05:03 PM
SubbyG00n
Scooby Regular

Brilliant explaination alcazar, thanks a lot. I'm currently offshore working but I will try as you've said when I return home. I'm due home on the 6th (if all goes to plan) and my MOT expires on the 6th so hopefully I should get it sorted with your thorough guide.

I do have a Multimeter, lol. I highly doubt it's the pump though as I have 2 of them.

every1sgotablue1: I know about the engine bay fuse box but there's not a fuse for it in there. If you reckon it is a failure i will have to get it fixed as soon as i return home from work.