Notices

Advice needed A.S.A.P

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2011, 08:58 AM
PHILLSSCOOB350BHP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed A.S.A.P

Hi guys firstly a big hi to everyone as i am new on here and love the site , o.k thats the good bit done now for the bad!!!

i've got a 96 classic wrx which had been modded before i bought a few months ago everything has been running fine untill last week i mean it had been running really well and its super quick, i had the cambelt done just for peace of mind and thats fine , i always check the levels and they are fine and the temp gauge is spot on but there seems to be smoke coming from the turbo area does this mean the turbo is on the way out or could there be seal or gasket that needs replacing or someone did mention that something could be dripping on the turbo or exhaust in that area , could anyone please offer me some advice to solve this issue before a massive bill is expected
many thanks look forward to hearing from you phill
Old 17 September 2011, 09:08 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

the scoobs are known for leaking oil around the rocker cover area. Also if it has recently been worked on and there are traces of oil or other fluids on the turbo / downpipe then these could just be burning off.

Is performance down at all or does it still boost as it was?
Old 17 September 2011, 09:41 AM
PHILLSSCOOB350BHP
Scooby Regular

Hi jaytc2003 thanks for the quick reply , someone mentioned the rocker cover i will have to have a closer look , as for the turbo it still feels the same a big kick , is it advised to carry on driving as normal or not? its been doing it for a couple of days now , how long would it take for fluid to burn off? thers no smoke or anything from the exhaust!!
Old 17 September 2011, 11:21 AM
oobyJu
Scooby Regular

burn off will only take a few min so maybe a seal/gasket area has been over flexed during the recent work?, get it up on a vehicle lift when running and look (may need to rev it) your friendly local exhaust place might help will only take 5 min, and dive a bit more gently till you know for sure

Last edited by oobyJu; 17 September 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 17 September 2011, 07:44 PM
PHILLSSCOOB350BHP
Scooby Regular

o.k this is good stuff, i'm soaking up all the advice given at the mo thanks guys , i will take her to my local mechanic monday and get him to have another look round , i will probably get him to do a rocker gasket change and check around the turbo gasket area, if theres anywhere else you guys think needs checking please let me know , i'd rather get it solved now