Notices

A Few Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2011, 10:23 AM
Ash1711
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Electrical Problems

Ok firstly i have a V reg Turbo 2000 UK Classic Subaru and its been running smoothly since i purchased it a year ago, until now

A couple of weeks ago my factory fitted immobiliser stopped working so i had to open the car with the car and take the alarm box out and now the car starts with the car as normal.

However, before it was repaired i had a few people come and look at it and they started messing about with the wires and plugs under the steering wheel (in the footwell) now i have a few problems that weren't there before...

1. The horn doesnt work.
2. When the electrics are turned on before the car is started the fan will kick in, first it starts slow for a few seconds, then it goes faster for a few seconds then it switches off before the cycle starts again.
3. There is a clicking noise coming from the engine bay, again when the electrics are turned on before starting the car, its coming from behind the steering wheel near where the drivers front wheel suspension arm sits.
4. I have a 'check engine' flashing message come on when ive been driving for a few minutes (ive read up on this and it flashes slowly twice then flashes quickly twice which means its error code 22 - knock sensor right?)

Any ideas what to do? I think the wires and plugs under the steering wheel need to be how they was before the alarm was fixed (ie some where plugged and and some where left unplugged) but i have no idea which ones go where!

Any help guys?
Old 09 September 2011, 11:52 AM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

It sounds like your diagnostic plugs have been joined together under the dash drivers side and is in diagnostic mode. They are green and black connectors. Disconnect them but it does seem to be showing a fault code though.

Last edited by JdcTypeR; 09 September 2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Spelling, bloody iPhone
Old 09 September 2011, 08:09 PM
futureshockwrx
Scooby Regular

hi i got same problem as you on number 3, have you found out what it is or whats causing it mate
Old 10 September 2011, 04:34 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As above, there is 2 sets of plugs under the steering coloum green and black, there only connected for test purpose and must not be left plugged in.
when they are connected the fans will be kicking in and out and also the boost solinoid will be purging(clicking) like mad.
Old 14 September 2011, 09:58 AM
Ash1711
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies, just to help others out in the future it was the black and green plugs under the footwell, i unplugged them and it fixed everything except my horn which i suspect may be a fuse?

Thanks again.
Old 14 September 2011, 10:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Fuse, or corrosion on the connector, or the horn itself stuck: it's only a little trembler and can stick, sometimes WD40 unsticks it.