Notices

Blitz nur spec exhaust ??

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2011, 11:27 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blitz nur spec exhaust ??

Guys, running a Blitz nur spec cat back exhaust with the bung in place, personally dont find the exhaust noise OTT which is very surprising as have heard a good few folk say they are over the top noise wise even with bung in place, not sure why mine should be so quiet ??!! just a deep growl without being stupidly loud. just wonder if I was to remove the second cat and possibly decat the uppipe on my 2005 blobeye if this would raise the noise levels on the system much ??

would be leaving in the standard downpipe, mid pipe and original headers, the last two which I have read can add considerably to the overall noise level !!

so okay Blitz nur spec with two cats removed on blobeye - how loud over just the catback system ??
Old 29 August 2011, 11:38 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

leave the bung out, that will make it louder
Old 29 August 2011, 11:56 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay sorry mate maybe I should have explained better !! my worry is that removing the cat in the uppipe and the one in the second cat will cause the exhaust to be stupidly loud ??!!

trust me possibly appeals to some, but not me nor the neighbours I am sure !!
Old 29 August 2011, 11:58 AM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

It will be louder as better flow of gases, when i had mine it was great really loud, but had to get rid as too much for me. It's so well made. Looks good, sounds great, but not for a long time, be good on tunnel runs etc, or just showing off
Old 29 August 2011, 12:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrchips
It will be louder as better flow of gases, when i had mine it was great really loud, but had to get rid as too much for me. It's so well made. Looks good, sounds great, but not for a long time, be good on tunnel runs etc, or just showing off
totally agree.. I had no silencers or cats on my classic with a full Nur spec R. Fantastic when racing around the streets or popping in tunnels but on a long drive to the beach it was really annoying..
Old 29 August 2011, 12:16 PM
geordiesi
Scooby Regular

i run my nur spec cat back without bung and it sounds great. At nbo this year people were shocked that it still had the cats on it because of its sound. Must say i do like thw nur spec even on tick over sounds nice much better than other zausts which have been decatted. Also if decatted it could fail the mot on emissions etc. Try with bung out see what u think of it before spending extra cash u mite not need to spend.
Old 29 August 2011, 04:30 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay sorry mate maybe I should have explained better !! my worry is that removing the cat in the uppipe and the one in the second cat will cause the exhaust to be stupidly loud ??!!

trust me possibly appeals to some, but not me nor the neighbours I am sure !!

Where you from pal if you're local to me I will show you the sound of mine as that has only one cat left in it (which I'm thinking of removing)
Old 29 August 2011, 06:27 PM
noturbo
Scooby Regular

My bugeye is fully decatted with an afterburner vortex(similar noise levels to nurspec) and to be honest it's a little ott for me, so thinking of a change myself.

Like people have said, remove the bung 1st

If you want more volume, remove one cat, if you want more go full decat. Just don't do it all at once as it could be too much
Old 29 August 2011, 07:52 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Guys- Guys-guys !! Please read my post I may be the odd one out but I dont want anymore noise hence the questions and hence why I have not removed the bung itself !!!!

as I say may suit some to have an exhaust that you can here a mile away but not me !!!

all it is was a bit worried that removing the 2nd cat and decating the uppipe in my blob wrx would cause the nur spec to be OTT, its perfect as it is noise level in no way too loud and uncomfortable to live with and would rather keep it at this, will removing the cats cause much off a difference in noise ??

** Blue and gold appreciatte the offer mate, fife in scotland guess your not anywhere near ??!
Old 29 August 2011, 09:10 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Guys- Guys-guys !! Please read my post I may be the odd one out but I dont want anymore noise hence the questions and hence why I have not removed the bung itself !!!!

as I say may suit some to have an exhaust that you can here a mile away but not me !!!

all it is was a bit worried that removing the 2nd cat and decating the uppipe in my blob wrx would cause the nur spec to be OTT, its perfect as it is noise level in no way too loud and uncomfortable to live with and would rather keep it at this, will removing the cats cause much off a difference in noise ??

** Blue and gold appreciatte the offer mate, fife in scotland guess your not anywhere near ??!

The short anwer is yes, it will make it louder, even with the bung in. The cats, as well as restricting the power, also dampen the noise.
Old 29 August 2011, 09:31 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes if you are decatted exhaust,yes will be louder..

Fully decatted Nur Spec will have something 110-120dB(mine has have something around 130dB),with bung you should have around 100dB-110dB which is still too much for long motorway driving.

Jura
Old 29 August 2011, 09:48 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers may just remove the one cat then ( 2nd cat on newage wrx ) bet you tell me this is the one that will cause the most noise ??!!
Old 29 August 2011, 10:35 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers may just remove the one cat then ( 2nd cat on newage wrx ) bet you tell me this is the one that will cause the most noise ??!!
Now for what you are looking for extra bhp,more noise or just more both?

If you are looking for more bhp,best bet will be removing all cats,but with this will increase noise,if you are looking just for both,best will be fitting Resonated center pipe and sport cat.

Most noise coming from Downpipe,which is very restricted like bhp and noise.

Jura
Old 29 August 2011, 11:26 PM
nizcon
Scooby Regular

I bloody love my NUR Spec R.
The burble on tick over and the roar under hard acceleration just floats my boat

Obviously not your thing but as it looks **** with the bung in, maybe consider selling your loud one on here (with your freshly removed cat/cats) to help fund a new, quieter pipe like H&S?

The bung spent less than a minute in mine before it was relegated to the back of the shed. The car sounds so good without the bung that I can't bear to put it in, even for a long journey.

There's always the wife's diesel Laguna for that.
Old 30 August 2011, 07:54 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay yep selling for something else could be an option if the noise from it does turn out to be just too much for my middle aged ears !!

quote " Obviously not your thing but as it looks **** with the bung in "

you honestly saying you can see the bung without sticking your head down level with it ??!!

what price would a used but fairly new and good condition Blitz nur spec cat back exhaust with receipt fetch ??
Old 30 August 2011, 05:49 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate I'm in Birmingham which is a little far to travel I'd only end up with a headache on the way there
Old 30 August 2011, 05:54 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Would def just sell the blitz and buy something quiter as i wouldn't run my car with a bung in it, Certainly wouldn't drive it hard as its not good for the car at all
Old 30 August 2011, 06:18 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers guys may consider sellig see what happens, to be honest thou never heard that running a car with an exhaust bung is bad for the car and it is slightly worrying news so will see what happens.

what price could I get for a used Blitz nur spec cat back then ?? what is the next best thing that would be okay noise wise with no bung and cats removed on the newage wrx ??
Old 30 August 2011, 06:37 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

The bung also effects power...

If its a Nur Spec R (3" system) then you're lookin at around £300 sale value and it'll be snapped up in no time as every1 always wants a Nur Spec R... until they have it on their car a while and realise the noise is too much!
I had 1 for a while, but never again!

My bro's system is a notch down in loudness from the Nur Spec R (not sure what make it is, but its a beautful system - jap style exit). Its still loud but not on that stupid Nur Spec level. He actually wants a Nur Spec R so you could come have a listen to his and if you like it px??
Old 30 August 2011, 09:40 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizcon
I bloody love my NUR Spec R.
The burble on tick over and the roar under hard acceleration just floats my boat

Obviously not your thing but as it looks **** with the bung in, maybe consider selling your loud one on here (with your freshly removed cat/cats) to help fund a new, quieter pipe like H&S?

The bung spent less than a minute in mine before it was relegated to the back of the shed. The car sounds so good without the bung that I can't bear to put it in, even for a long journey.

There's always the wife's diesel Laguna for that.
I dont quite get it , as when the bung is fastened in to the nur spec r, you cant see it ,as it is right down the tailpipe,which still gives you the 4.5' tailpipe unlike the afterburner vortex where the bung is fixed right at the end of the tailpipe and that really does look **** as it too has a 4.5 ' tailpipe with a smaller diameter hole in the bung than the nur spec bung.

As mentioned above if you want a system that is not ott ,then i would opt for a H & S system with the racebox a popular choice or preferably the ninja 2 imho. I had one of these fully decatted and i never used the bung once while i had it.
Cant say the same since i bought an afterburner vortex,bung is a must on early starts at 6,00 am.
Old 30 August 2011, 10:06 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay yep did say that regards the guys comment on the bung looking **** you dont see it unless looking for it !! anyway so you say the H+S system with racebox.

will only be looking for a cat back replacment as that is what is on the car just now - Bltz nur spec cat back , what does the H+S system cost and what is the sound like ?? any other recommendations on something that will still sound good on the wrx without being ott with a full decat ??
Old 30 August 2011, 10:08 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Its got something to do with back pressure i believe but i was told never drive car hard with bung in
Old 30 August 2011, 10:25 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

I have heard a few HKS silent power systems,which dispite there name, still sound good without being ott.A racebox sounds similar to a prodrive backbox,which when decatted sounds ok and quite discreet,but you still hear the rumble. A ninja 2 sounds similar,but with a more bass than a prodrive and is the one i would personally reccommend as i never had a single complaint from the old folks home opposite me,when i had one fitted, yet it sounded awesome when giving it plenty ,but just nice when on tickover . Pricewise you can get a mint ninja 2 for £100 -£120,and the straight through centre for about £50.If you want brand new then with the money from your blitz you should be able to get both.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1275

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=448
Old 30 August 2011, 10:32 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -shane-
Its got something to do with back pressure i believe but i was told never drive car hard with bung in
+1 ,I never drive the car hard with the bung in,back pressure is greatly increased as the exhaust gases fight to get out of a much smaller exit.I normally insert the bung early in the morning, and remove it when engine is warmed up and the noise levels have dropped .
Old 30 August 2011, 10:42 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
I have heard a few HKS silent power systems,which dispite there name, still sound good without being ott.A racebox sounds similar to a prodrive backbox,which when decatted sounds ok and quite discreet,but you still hear the rumble. A ninja 2 sounds similar,but with a more bass than a prodrive and is the one i would personally reccommend as i never had a single complaint from the old folks home opposite me,when i had one fitted, yet it sounded awesome when giving it plenty ,but just nice when on tickover . Pricewise you can get a mint ninja 2 for £100 -£120,and the straight through centre for about £50.If you want brand new then with the money from your blitz you should be able to get both.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1275

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=448

Okay thanks again for the info / links etc, did have a quick look but was put right off when on one review it said " "Very load roar can hear the car from a mile!.
Old 30 August 2011, 11:17 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Dont be put off by all the reviews,i had one of these and it is much much quieter than my current afterburner vortex,even the prodrive backbox can be heard from distance when your giving it some.Heres a idea of what the ninja 2 sounds like on a 2005 car fully decatted with a remap :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3VukWSHwHI

Last edited by midnight; 30 August 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 30 August 2011, 11:21 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Nice rumble on tickover,and now what it sounds like with all cats in place and no pops from the remap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JFtg8HeHA
Old 30 August 2011, 11:41 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thats great again thanks for that and yep certainly have to agree from the videos certainly does not sound too bad- perfect, something to think on !!!
Old 31 August 2011, 09:36 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

all this talk of never driving with the bung in has me worried.. mine's been in since i bought the car!
what ill effects can i expect from running wiht it in?
Old 31 August 2011, 09:55 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

The basic principle for speed on an engine is how much air you can get into the cylinders and how fast you can dispel the exhaust gases. Look at it like this: can you drink a pint of water quicker using a drinking straw or by your mouth. If you drive the car at 'full on'with the bung in, it will still go , but you will be restricting the route that the turbo wants to exit the gases. Drive it with the bung out and car will breathe easier and reduce back pressure.

Quick Reply: Blitz nur spec exhaust ??