Notices

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2011, 08:06 AM
Niko
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Turbo

Hi guys I'm new to this world so I have a few questions.
I want to change the turbo on my wrx 97 model, what kind of turbo should I put in the car??
My mate told me a t05 20g would be good for the car, can I use that turbo in my car??
I just need some information about the right turbo for my97 wrx.
Thanks
Old 27 August 2011, 08:27 AM
pete@s/e imprezas
Former Sponsor

tdo5 20g will fit straight on but what power you looking for.if your engine and box is standard they proberly wont last long.
Old 27 August 2011, 09:39 AM
Niko
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate, my engine as a different air filter and a blow off valve.
And a new exaust system, I just want more response on the car.
What other changes should I do on the car to support the t05 20g turbo, I'm complete new to this and I don't want to do the wrong thing.
Old 27 August 2011, 12:05 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

20g produces upto 400bhp, iam pretty sure this would shred your gearbox unless you have a 6 speed fitted
Old 16 September 2011, 02:39 AM
Niko
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys I whant to get more response and more hp in my97 wrx.
What can I do to get that without spending a fortune?
What ripe of turbo can I get without change much in the car??
Can I get a performance chip? What kind?
Old 16 September 2011, 08:04 PM
sonicvr6
BANNED

Originally Posted by Pramas
20g produces upto 400bhp, iam pretty sure this would shred your gearbox unless you have a 6 speed fitted
360 is plenty to shred a classic box trust me i've done it
Old 04 October 2011, 12:54 AM
Niko
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate I have a problem with my97, I install a boost control but wen I press the throttle, my car seems like it's not getting enough fuel or the ecu it's not letting the car go because it cutes the accelaration of the car very quick, but I'm not shore what making this. My question is, what can this be? And what can do to fix it?? Need help
Old 04 October 2011, 01:26 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Niko it sounds like it's over boosting because you have added the boost controller. Not really advisable if you don't know what your doing. You need to get it on a rolling road to check air/fuel mixture
Old 04 October 2011, 08:44 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Niko

Right a TD05 20G is too big for your car and will break it, either the gearbox or definately the engine, you need to look at around 330-350bhp max and then you need to ensure your car is in tip top condition when you do so otherwise you will put a rod/piston through the block.
Your other issue is that your ecu isnt mappable so that needs to be addressed, mainly by replacing the standard ecu with an aftermarket one and having that mapped.
If you want to run over 350bhp then its highly recommended that you look at having a fully forged engine and uprated gearbox, this alone for a good setup classic here in the UK will set you back around 10k £, but that would be all the supporting mods (brakes, fmic etc).
Also stay away from boost controllers, nothing but trouble if you get it wrong, go for the aftermarket ecu, and your turbo should be good enough for 340bhp if you have the saloon or if you have the wagon then around 270bhp

Tony
Old 05 October 2011, 08:41 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

There are a range of turbos that would be good on your car and a lot depends on whether you want new or secondhand. A new TD05 18G, ported exhaust inlet and uprated actuator £725 would be a good choice and with twelve months warranty trouble free. Also consider a secondhand VF34 but you need to exercise caution to ensure you are not buying someone else's rubbish. A good 20G would be another option but as already pointed out you will break the TY752 gearbox in time.
To get the best out of any of the turbos listed you will need 550cc side feed injectors.

The alternative would be to do all the basic mods to get the best out of your car as it is at present and if you are still not happy with the performance then look at a turbo. Normally you would start with a 3" exhaust fully decatted including 3" open neck downpipe, ported headers, matched uppipe and possibly a K+N filter. Because your car is 97 the ECU is not mappable and you therefore need aftermarket ECU such as secondhand Apexi or new Simtek. Then would be the time to think about the turbo and injectors.
Old 05 October 2011, 09:26 PM
Arranuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
There are a range of turbos that would be good on your car and a lot depends on whether you want new or secondhand. A new TD05 18G, ported exhaust inlet and uprated actuator £725 would be a good choice and with twelve months warranty trouble free. Also consider a secondhand VF34 but you need to exercise caution to ensure you are not buying someone else's rubbish. A good 20G would be another option but as already pointed out you will break the TY752 gearbox in time.
To get the best out of any of the turbos listed you will need 550cc side feed injectors.

The alternative would be to do all the basic mods to get the best out of your car as it is at present and if you are still not happy with the performance then look at a turbo. Normally you would start with a 3" exhaust fully decatted including 3" open neck downpipe, ported headers, matched uppipe and possibly a K+N filter. Because your car is 97 the ECU is not mappable and you therefore need aftermarket ECU such as secondhand Apexi or new Simtek. Then would be the time to think about the turbo and injectors.

Harbvey - - TD05 18G, ported exhaust inlet and uprated actuator £725 wheer from ????
Old 05 October 2011, 09:26 PM
Arranuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey

Harvey - - TD05 18G, ported exhaust inlet and uprated actuator £725 wheer from ????
Old 05 October 2011, 09:29 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Try Harvey himself
Old 05 October 2011, 09:45 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

Harvey builds them himself, i have 1 of his td05 20g and its sweet, non of this ebay crap