Impreza STI 2003 blobeye - intercooler spray problems

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2011, 06:58 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza STI 2003 blobeye - intercooler spray problems

Hi guys,

Hoping someone with a bit of electrical knowledge might be able to help me here! I want to ideally understand the setup, and don't want to go ahead and buy new parts until I know I have to. I'm having issues with my intercooler spray. It didn't work when i got the car a few months ago, then it started to work for a couple weeks and has since stopped again - so I'm thinking it's something faulty, rather than something that has gone altogether.

Here's the story so far:
- checked motor/pump attached to resevoir in boot - works ok
- low water level light still shows on dash
- seems to be a click coming from glovebox area that leads me to think relay is working ok
- when i disconnect switch, there is a combination of prongs that when I connect to the ohm meter and press the switch, i suddently get a continuity reading so correctly or incorrectly i'd think the switch is ok?
- checked all wire ends - all seem to be ok, clean enough etc
- Switch bulb seems to be broken now, i wonder if this could be causing a break in the loop?

I'm not sure if there is anything else I can check/narrow down issue to using the ohm meter or if there is surefire way to check the switch?

Any suggestions welcome! know it's not urgent stuff, but bloody annoying none the less!

thanks
Justin
Old 23 August 2011, 07:16 PM
w44syf
Scooby Regular

hi mate i had the same problem on my03 sti, the problem was solved after changing the fuse, give it a go changing the fuse
Old 23 August 2011, 07:17 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Not sure if a 2003 is the same as my 2006 but when the button is pressed it starts a timer and from your description it sounds like the timer box ( the clicking noise in the glovebox area ) may be playing up.

You could remove the connector from the timer and apply 12v to the wire that goes to the pump, it should run, this should
Old 23 August 2011, 07:35 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the suggestions, will try them out.

where is the fuse for the I/C sprayer though? Had a look at the manual, no mention anywhere. Did have a quick look at all fuses, didn't seem to be any that were obviously buggered, but if i knew which one, i could slot a new one in to be sure.

DT-SPD - yeh i think mine is the same, when you press the button, i think the spray it's designed to give a 5 second burst of spray. Do you know where the timer is so that I can remove the connector to it?

Cheers again
Old 23 August 2011, 07:37 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Yje bulb in the switch wont cause a problem. They blow quite often. Had to change mine 3 times
Old 23 August 2011, 09:59 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

btbtt

right, double checked all fuses, def not that unfortunately.

anyone know know where the timer thing is so that I can remove the connector to it?

Definately upon pressing the i/c button, there is a faint click heard a second or two after coming from around glovebox area.

Any more ideas?

thanks!
Old 25 August 2011, 12:26 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

Default btbtt

btbtt

anyone any more ideas?

cheers