Notices

Reverse inlet setup

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2011, 08:31 PM
howes124
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reverse inlet setup

Hi, i been moving things around in my engine bay while the cars of the road , So far i have moved the battery into the boot, Relocated the power steering and got rid of the blooming great big windscreen bottle, Moved the alternator over etc,

As i look at the engine i am thinking of going reverse inlet setup, I have a old evo9 fmic which i can mount and connect to as will use the lower rad from pace, Is there any advantage from doing this ?,

My cars mapped to a pace setup so know i will have to get a tweek, but i shorten the pipe work on the inlet side by half, Would this help at all.
Old 22 August 2011, 08:37 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of pain for not much gain TBH, On a normal road car totally not worth the bother or expense, spend your money on something which youll get a bit more benefit from.
Old 22 August 2011, 08:40 PM
howes124
Scooby Regular

Just need new gaskets, but manifold removed already, As i got loads of different sought's of 52mm pipe work lying about fought i would have a go, No gain at all even after a remap ?.
Old 22 August 2011, 08:44 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by howes124
Hi, i been moving things around in my engine bay while the cars of the road , So far i have moved the battery into the boot, Relocated the power steering and got rid of the blooming great big windscreen bottle, Moved the alternator over etc,

As i look at the engine i am thinking of going reverse inlet setup, I have a old evo9 fmic which i can mount and connect to as will use the lower rad from pace, Is there any advantage from doing this ?,

My cars mapped to a pace setup so know i will have to get a tweek, but i shorten the pipe work on the inlet side by half, Would this help at all.
Sometimes, change for the sake of it isn't a good thing, so make sure you're actually not causing more problems than you're fixing.
It's certainly a positive thing to be shortening pipe runs, and imaginative design can create something worth having. You'll need to modify the throttle body mount, or the inlet angle can be a bit off. Carl Davey does an adaptor for this. The alternator brackets aren't too hard to deal with, and you'll have to sort out the belt runs.
Tip.. Measure twice, cut once..
Old 22 August 2011, 08:53 PM
howes124
Scooby Regular

i have got a adjuster of a old ford fiesta which is a perfect fit, Alternator already done with the help of a grinder and a welder lol, Throttle body was a bit tricky,Had a new piece made and just had to cut a small amount of the underneath of the bonnet.

The evo fmic fits snug behind the radaitor (just had to modify the brackets a little), Luckly the pipes exit from the middle at a slight upward angle to allow for me to put pipes up and over the top off the rad , with 2 pieces of 90deg silicon smack in line with the inlet,

Just got to work out how to get the pipe work to the turbo outlet now, but with the battery and washer bottle gone should give me more room to play with.

Last edited by howes124; 22 August 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 25 August 2011, 11:09 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

As already said above, a fair amount oof effort for very little gain. There are probably more effective things to look at.
Old 25 August 2011, 07:35 PM
howes124
Scooby Regular

I see wot you are saying , Just the cars of the road for a few weeks, So i fought i would have a play while waiting for it to be repaired,

Just really wanted to know if any benefit for doing this as having remap once car done as i have changed injectors + turbo, And so far it has cost me about £25 .