Notices

*** cold air feed to intercooler???

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2002, 03:29 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all... just wondering if anyone has tried feeding cold air from the small bonnet vents to the top mount intercooler, if so has this shown any drop in intake temps?

Cheers
Fergal
Old 24 April 2002, 05:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

A number of people remove the vent internal covers to aid ventilation and cooling.

A number of others have mini scoops on them.. Markus for one..

But I don't think you would gain anything by piping the air to the top of the intercooler and through it etc.. there are splitters for sale which chuck some of the air to the front of the intercooler so that it gets cold air all over it.. but that just sits in the standard scoop.

If you want far better cooling fit a front mount intercooler.

JGM
Old 24 April 2002, 10:54 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Removed the driver side vent blank & found temps up 2centigrade on the move in the under bonnet area.
Removing the second (passenger side) vent & temps were same as with blanks fitted.
This was done systematically over several days & I concluded that the planned airflow path was interupted by removing the driver side vent.
Ducting air from the vents to blow close onto the front & turbo side of the tmic but not into the top may show temperature reductions IMHO but so small as to make it not worth the effort.
Hope this proves interesting.
Old 25 April 2002, 10:59 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

thx for the info... some food for thought , i kinda want to stay away from FMIC due to the postion, im a city driver and i would be wary of towbars and dodgy parking if u get my drift... im not going to run mental boost anyway just trying to make the standard setup more efficent...

Cheers
Old 25 April 2002, 11:01 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Fivepint, I know where you're coming from.

My conclusion is that the standard top-mount I/C would benefit greatly from a scoop that is both higher and has a front lip set further forward to collect more air, particularly at high speed when it it obvious that the OEM scoop is getting by-passed by the airflow which is then concentrated above it.

I think ScoobySport make something for the new-shape cars, in carbon fibre Not sure about the old-shape, though. Anyone care to comment?

Richard.
Old 26 April 2002, 09:36 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Richard

I'll be monitoring the temps before and after the i/c to check out a few mods - splitter, water spray and better hoses.

I know that a bigger scoop would do the trick but at what price - the drag may outweigh the gains as well as upset aerodynamics possibly, also it may just look silly!

I like the idea of a non flammable aerosol that is very cold (contact cleaner/co2) that may be spray onto the i/c.

MRT systems seem a tad pricey for the gains so it's the DIY route for me....

F
Old 29 April 2002, 04:44 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Arrow

The new STI7 has a much larger (taller?) scoop than the std WRX so there must be something in it.

Richard