Notices

my 1997 sti won't start! ANY IDEAS???

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2011, 01:30 PM
seppy101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1997 sti won't start! ANY IDEAS???

looking for some general help here... . over 1 week ago my car just stopped working. . i had driven it a few miles to my sisters and when i got back in it wouldn't start. . . . I checked the ECU codes and it was MAF sensor, so I got onto the net and 2 days later I plugged it in, reset the ecu and the fault was gone but still wouldn't start. . . . .
I changed the plugs as they were not firing too well and were old and still it wouldn't fire. . . the engine wasn;t getting fuel. . so i got onto a mate who's a breaker and got hold of a fuel pump. . put that in and still nothing. .

since then i have taken a link positive and negative from the battery and it primes the pump and the car starts. . but the relay just doesn;t seem to be priming or running the pump. . i have tried changing both fuel pump relays but still nothing. . the fuel pump relays are doing their click cycle when I turn the ignition, , well the green plug one is (does the other relay click too ). . . so thats where I am. . any ideas???? it sucks not being on the road and my car in 3 or 4 miles away from my house sitting till i can get her started . . .
Old 21 August 2011, 01:33 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

black block connector under back seat , make sure its not cracked or corroded up , common fault , bypass or replace as nessasary , problem solved
Old 21 August 2011, 01:41 PM
seppy101
Scooby Regular

you think so? . . It does look ok. . are you talking about the connector that connects into the fuel pump or the black square connector thats thats usually kept under a strip of insulation under the back seats???

both black block and white connector going into pump look ok. .
Old 21 August 2011, 01:46 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seppy101
you think so? . . It does look ok. . are you talking about the connector that connects into the fuel pump or the black square connector thats thats usually kept under a strip of insulation under the back seats???

both black block and white connector going into pump look ok. .
black square under the seat , i had the same symptoms drove me nuts . it kept stopping for no reason ,when i did find it it was corroded inside and making a connection when it felt like it , if you want to prove it just disconect then connect to pump with your own wires from the terminal to pump still using the wiring from seat to dash and all the relays
Old 21 August 2011, 01:52 PM
seppy101
Scooby Regular

i'll give that a try a wee while mate, could be damaged and not visible from the outside, its strange tho cause car has never shown any signs before, just died!.....its only 130,000km too ( getting to the replacing of parts stage me thinks ). . .my multi metre for checking circuits is in my brother in laws skyline and thats in the garage lol. . usual. when you need something its always unobtainable. . .
Old 22 August 2011, 02:45 PM
seppy101
Scooby Regular

goood call mate. . the black connector was corroded inside too where the 2 live wires meet
thanks for the tip. . saved me more time flaffing around, checked everything apart from that too lol