Notices

What engine

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2011, 09:18 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine

I am about to rebuild my 1994 wrx engine which I believe is a closed deck block. Now do I just rebuild it with better pistons, oil rcm oil pump and arp head bolts and get the heads renewed.

or

Make it a 2.1

Or buy a second hand 2.5 short block from a sti and fit that.

My car is a auto so I am limited to around 300bhp for now, what I want is reliability and being able to change to a manual gearbox later on and then up the power to around 400bhp.

I am thinking the first option as its the easiest option and will still give good power.

Also a 2.0 will rev well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 20 August 2011, 12:03 AM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Anyone??
Old 20 August 2011, 12:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need a wagon? if not sell it and buy a new age STI, it will save you a fortune (like 10k+ for what you want to do to get your car up to 400bhp), wrx's aint cheap to modify.

Tony
Old 20 August 2011, 12:45 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

for what you are looking?

If you are looking keep Autobox,only one option is JDM 4eat which can hold 400bhp on longer run(i have mine which can hold this power,but we are went for little bit more than 400bhp).But second problem is if you want fit aftermarket ECU like SimTek,Syvecs Autobox will not work with these ECU.

I've done on mine swap to manual and if its worth not sure,for sure i will be missing paddle shift,but i know this box will not hold 500bhp on longer run and we are want use aftermarket ECU and this has been only one option,Yes is available ProEFI mappable ECU which can work with autobox TCU,but is available only in USA...

I would suggest 2.1 and SC46 and you have nice combo on B-roads and main roads,2.5L not sure about this,i'm not big fan of 2.5L.

CDB 2.0L with your suggested parts will be good combo too,with SC36 or other turbos will be nice to drive and will be ready for next level too,if you want go for more power.
Mainly depends for what are you looking and from this you can decide what you want.

Jura
Old 21 August 2011, 08:13 AM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

I think it will be a 2.1 engine build as it will give increased torque over standard and its easy enough to do at the rebuild stage. I dont want the hassle of trying to get a later autobox to fit so will stick with the standard one for now. I think a simtek ecu will be enough for me and I may even stick with the standard turbo for now, just fit a fmic and see where I go from there.
Old 21 August 2011, 12:43 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999wagon
I think it will be a 2.1 engine build as it will give increased torque over standard and its easy enough to do at the rebuild stage. I dont want the hassle of trying to get a later autobox to fit so will stick with the standard one for now. I think a simtek ecu will be enough for me and I may even stick with the standard turbo for now, just fit a fmic and see where I go from there.
Yes 2.1 will give you better torque and slightly better spool,power against 2.0L

Yes if you don't want hassle fitting later autobox,i would stick with standard one.
SimTek will not work with yours autobox,due your gearbox TCU is wired with your ECU and TCU control Torque control signal,Torque control cut signal,Load etc.If you want go route aftermarket ECU,only one option for autobox is ESL or ProEFi(available in USA) or Syvecs too if you contact Pat about this.
If you are looking for more bhp at future,manual is only one option or you can contact few companies in USA,where you can send your gearbox for Power rebuild...

If its your ECU is mappable,fit there what you want and mainly enjoy

Good luck there

Jura