Notices

some advise needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2011, 03:14 PM
cooperjohn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some advise needed please.

hi all ,i am in need of some advise relating to my 97 version 4 sti.
i baught the car with bottem end failre to the crank but was told it came with another good engine, after fitting said good engine ,it was aparent that it wasnt good at all. the engine doesnt over heat but presureises and blows coolant out of the header tank, i did a sniff test and it confirmed the worst.

the previous owner said the said good engine was rebuilt at considerable cost.

i striped the heads off said good engine today to find a few qeustions i need answering.

1 the heads appear to be version 2 type ra, i say this as the cam shafts in one have markes R3 or something like that and are identiacal to a sticky i read on here,.

2 the sti cams only appear to be in one head and each head has different marking, the LH has the sti cams and jp marked in the corner.
the RH head appears to have another set of cams marked L3 and CH marked in the same corner, so clearly the heads dont match.

the casting marks on the heads are like lots of little squares cross hatch kind of markings ,this is visiable on both.

any idea why someone would run sti cams in one side and not in the other? can you even fit non sti cams into other head???

3: with the heads off it is aparent that there is multilayer steel gaskets which to my eye look fine ??? maybe not though

4: there is considerable play side to side at the piston i allways thought any movement was bad ?? can anyone confirm if this is normal??

i appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and i would very much appeciate your help

kind regards . John.
Old 14 August 2011, 04:27 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post some pics up of the cams and heads John as it makes it a whole lot
easier to identify things.

The jp and ch marks you refer to - does it have the same marks on the cam caps - if so this is normal as its where they line bore the cam caps/heads at the factory and match mark the caps and heads.
Picture below show YR stamped on No. 2 and 4 Exhaust cap and also stamped on the cylinder head so the caps dont get mixed up.

The only way to measure piston wear correctly is to remove them and measure piston skirt diameter and bore size.

Mick

Last edited by merlin24; 14 August 2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: picture added