Notices

how to fit a window?

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2011, 07:21 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fit a window?

Are there any guides in how to change a car door window?
Old 07 August 2011, 07:54 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

1. wind window all the way down.
2. remove door card.
3. use deep socket to undo two bolts at the bottom of the glass (if the window is all the way down the bolts line up with two holes in the metalwork of the door)
4. Loosen the brushes that hold the glass against the door at the top of the door.
5. Grab the glass and wriggle, jiggle, swear and wrestle with it until it pops out the top.
Old 07 August 2011, 07:56 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
1. wind window all the way down.
2. remove door card.
3. use deep socket to undo two bolts at the bottom of the glass (if the window is all the way down the bolts line up with two holes in the metalwork of the door)
4. Loosen the brushes that hold the glass against the door at the top of the door.
5. Grab the glass and wriggle, jiggle, swear and wrestle with it until it pops out the top.
Thanks i try this tomorrow

I guess to install one in, is reverse the procedure?
Old 08 August 2011, 11:24 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Yeah, when putting the new one in make sure you get the wheel on the glass into the runner guide at the top of the door and slot it down.
Then maneuver the holes in the window fixing over the nuts at the bottom and pop the bolts back on.
If you dont get the wheel in the guide then when you do the window up it will go up too far and if you slam the door you will have a problem. The glass is pretty tough and you can man-handle it quite a bit.
Just try not to drop a nut inside the door like i did cos now my door rattles when i slam it.
The first one i did took me an hour to replace but the next one took 10mins. Its easy once you know how.
Old 08 August 2011, 12:22 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
Yeah, when putting the new one in make sure you get the wheel on the glass into the runner guide at the top of the door and slot it down.
Then maneuver the holes in the window fixing over the nuts at the bottom and pop the bolts back on.
If you dont get the wheel in the guide then when you do the window up it will go up too far and if you slam the door you will have a problem. The glass is pretty tough and you can man-handle it quite a bit.
Just try not to drop a nut inside the door like i did cos now my door rattles when i slam it.
The first one i did took me an hour to replace but the next one took 10mins. Its easy once you know how.
Thanks .. gonna give it a go now :P