Notices

Considering a V4/5 Sti Type R, are they reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2011, 03:20 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a V4/5 Sti Type R, are they reliable?

Afternoon folks,

Firstly, a little introduction

Haven’t been on here or posted in a long while! I owned a 99 UK Turbo 2000 back when I was 21 and loved it, although it wasn’t the most reliable thing ive ever owned! Since then ive had quite a number of cars, 3 Evo’s (white VI, bought stock modified it to 510hp and then it dropped a valve so i lost a LOT of money, Red VII bought already highly modified running 590hp/590lbft absolute anumal but kept eating gearboxes and clutches, and a nice low mileage Red V which was 100% reliable in the 6 months I owned it – should’ve kept it tbh!), then had a Porsche Boxster for a few months which I HATED, a few other cheap runners and now currently have an 04 plate Civic Type R. I like this, quite refined, been very reliable so far, etc but just doesn’t have the power I ‘need’! Plus i bought the Civic when i was doing a lot of travelling every week, I now have a job muhch closer to home so could afford something a little more thirsty

So, I am considering selling the Civic and getting another Scoob I’ll have around £6k, and would like a classic shape – I think. I love the Type R’s, always have and would like a nice Version 4/5/6 one of these. Ive seen the Black Version 4 for sale on here and absolutely love it, seems to be well looked after and has just the right mods for me. Its running around 350hp on a VF34, mapped by Jolly Green Monster. The problem is, I have just bought my first house, so money is a little tight. I could definetly afford to run it, and maintin it (servicing, etc); but it NEEDS to be reliable. What are these Sti Type R’s generally like for reliability, especially when tuned to around 350hp? Do the gearboxes generally hold up with this power, and likewise engine internals? Now im well aware the reliability of these will generally depend on how its been treated in its life ie maintained correctly, warmed-up/cooled down, serviced on time using the correct oil...but what is the general consensus? Also, what engine do these have (closed/open/semi deck block), as I believe the closed desk blocks are the strongest of the range?

Apologies for the essay, thanks in advance
Old 05 August 2011, 03:22 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

This is the Impreza im considering btw, any information or opinions on the actual car would be much appreciated aswell

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...roof-vent.html
Old 05 August 2011, 03:40 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Version 4 won't have a closed deck block unless it's had another engine put in it, they will more than likely have open if I remember right. Gearbox should be ok at that, just don't do loads of hard starts. Other than that if its not too played about with they are quite reliable from my experiences
Old 05 August 2011, 03:44 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
Version 4 won't have a closed deck block unless it's had another engine put in it, they will more than likely have open if I remember right. Gearbox should be ok at that, just don't do loads of hard starts. Other than that if its not too played about with they are quite reliable from my experiences
Cool, thanks mate.

I dont generally launch 4 wheels drive cars anyway....was always too scared of blowing a diff/transfer box with the Evo!

Out of curiosity, which versions do have the closen desk blocks?
Old 05 August 2011, 03:44 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd get the honda turbo'd if you want reliable.

I wouldn't touch an sti type r these days unless it had a newage sti engine, if they haven't had a rebuild they'll very soon need one. If it has been rebuilt make sure it's been done by someone that knows what they're doing otherwise it won't last anyway.

If you want reliable get a newage 2.0 sti.
Old 05 August 2011, 03:49 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx

I wouldn't touch an sti type r these days unless it had a newage sti engine, if they haven't had a rebuild they'll very soon need one. If it has been rebuilt make sure it's been done by someone that knows what they're doing otherwise it won't last anyway.

exactly whay i have done!
Old 05 August 2011, 03:52 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I bought a V3 type r just over a year ago

The engine went (partly my fault, it was going anyway)

Clutch went (twice)

Turbo went

Fixing these things probably cost the same amount I paid for the car

Its been really reliable lately though (touch wood)
Old 05 August 2011, 03:52 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx

^ Sound advice

Type R's are the most fun scooby out of many I've owned. Their lightweight nimble nature is a sheer joy... howebver, they can also be the biggest money pit too - reliability, purchase price, and upgradeitis

Here's a nice one. I almost bought this a while back. The owner's a bit tricky to deal with and the gearbox had a slight issue, but other than that a genuine one with sound upgrades
Old 05 August 2011, 04:46 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

WOW, it seems they're definetly not as reliable as I was hoping! The above type R looks very nice, but it is also a little out of my price range to be honest.

Are the newage's MUCH better than the classics, for reliability? Even the Type Uk Newages? I know the JDM cars are a lot better; but again I doubt my budget would stretch to a nice one of these. So with £6k, could I get a good Blob-eye Uk Sti?
Old 05 August 2011, 06:17 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Not reliable at all in my experience. The problems I've had I would expect on a car with maybe 4x the mileage, not one with 55000 km's.

Last edited by Turbovin; 05 August 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05 August 2011, 07:20 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

6k will get you a nice type r with a newage sti motor and will be reliable if you pick a good one.
Old 05 August 2011, 08:04 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has a refreshed new age bottom end... so far so good