Engine check light

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2011, 09:20 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine check light

Hi folks

I have another ECL fault on my classic scoob and I have been told it could be the MAF sensor, but just double checking as I am a tad confussed
(its not hard to do)
The ECL comes on now and again and stays on. When I turn off ignition, it goes and comes back now and again and stays on etc.
A friend off of here has suggested it could be the MAF sensor and told me how to check it. I checked it the way he said but didn't do as it should

He said that when you take the plug off, the car should labour and die. When I took the plug off the car seemed to off revved a bit quicker and then go back to normal, but when I put the plug back on it labours to almost die point then revs up to normal again.

I have also tried to check for the fault code, but there is no engine light once the car is running and the plugs (under dash) are connected
So I now don't know what's going on

Oh and I took my car for a round trip of 400 miles last week and yes the light came and when but the car seemed to run ok.

Any help folks would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.
Old 02 August 2011, 09:39 AM
simonchapman1986
Scooby Regular

I have this exact same problem, and it seems it only came about since replacing my standard panel filter with a cold air feed induction system, but however I also put on a new HKS ssqv on at the same time. I have just assumed its due to it needing a Map as it literally only came on upon the modifications, and there has been no change in performance (tell a lie, it actually performs far better!) so I'm equally as confused as yourself by the sounds of it, and would actually love to hear if you manage to solve it!! Planning a Map very soon anyway, which will no doubt point out the issue and resolve. If I figure it out before you, I'll be sure to let you know
Old 02 August 2011, 09:53 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

have you actually tried reading the fault code history? even if the light isnt on all the time it will have stored the faults.
Old 02 August 2011, 10:01 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

He said that when you take the plug off, the car should labour and die. When I took the plug off the car seemed to off revved a bit quicker and then go back to normal, but when I put the plug back on it labours to almost die point then revs up to normal again.
Thats not actually true mate. You ecu will try and compensate the fact that the maf is not plugged in.

Plug the black connectors in under the steering wheel and read the codes.

Last edited by hpoolsteve; 02 August 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02 August 2011, 10:47 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Explaination on my website in help pages www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Old 02 August 2011, 01:50 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve
Thats not actually true mate. You ecu will try and compensate the fact that the maf is not plugged in.

Plug the black connectors in under the steering wheel and read the codes.
I have already plugged in the connectors and the ECL does not come back on

I did also put a Turbosmart supersonic dv on the day before, which I replaced a smaller no named dv. Might also have something to do with it.
Old 02 August 2011, 03:49 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EOEUMC

I did also put a Turbosmart supersonic dv on the day before, which I replaced a smaller no named dv. Might also have something to do with it.
This sort of thing is common; go back to recirc and the car will almost certainly drive better and with the added bonus that it won't sound like a barry boy's car
Old 02 August 2011, 03:51 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by simonchapman1986
I have this exact same problem, and it seems it only came about since replacing my standard panel filter with a cold air feed induction system, but however I also put on a new HKS ssqv on at the same time. I have just assumed its due to it needing a Map as it literally only came on upon the modifications, and there has been no change in performance (tell a lie, it actually performs far better!) so I'm equally as confused as yourself by the sounds of it, and would actually love to hear if you manage to solve it!! Planning a Map very soon anyway, which will no doubt point out the issue and resolve. If I figure it out before you, I'll be sure to let you know
Unfortunately mate, if those are your only mods you've wasted your money as both will likely reduce or negatively impact your performance rather than improve it, and the dump valve without a remap - well - just read some of the threads on here to see why it's not the best idea in the world. But we all pay our money and take our choices.
Just FYI standard Recirc, airbox and good panel filter should be good for up to 400bhp.

To be fair, I've been there; bought an HKS super power flow induction kit for the car when I first bought it over 6 years back, had it on about a month before I realised the car ran worse with it on, and read up on sites like these - came straight off and whacked a green panel filter on - much better.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 02 August 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03 August 2011, 12:53 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EOEUMC

Bulb missing?
Old 03 August 2011, 10:47 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
This sort of thing is common; go back to recirc and the car will almost certainly drive better and with the added bonus that it won't sound like a barry boy's car
I replaced an after market dv that was on the car (unknown name) for the turbosmart one. So changed a cheap one for an expensive one! I know it may not mean anything, but if it was the other way round I could understand having problems with it.

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Bulb missing?
What from the ECL?

If that's what you mean then that's a defo no as the light comes on when ignition is on, but goes out when car is ticking over/running

Last edited by EOEUMC; 03 August 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03 August 2011, 10:53 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Explaination on my website in help pages www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Did you follow the instructions on how to read codes from Simon's website?
Old 03 August 2011, 12:12 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I have the instructions printed out from a few weeks ago when I had a knock sensor fault.
So have already got these to hand and followed them to the letter. I am probably going to disconnect battery later and see how it goes once its connected back up etc

If the light comes back on then maybe another connection of terminals might find the problem.

If that don't work, then god knows what would be next on the list to do