what benefits do the link & Prodrive ecus have over each other
& how easy is it to swap one for the other

Cheers
Paul
Old 24 April 2002, 01:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link ECU is fully programable, Prodrive one is not. Think that is main difference between them and a standard ECU.

Thus the link can be setup to 'your' requirements/driving style.

Not sure exactly what the prodrive ECU does, think maybe changes the boost curve to give better torque and power, but what do I know.

Personally I'd keep the link and have a chat with BRD about maybe remapping it to suit you and any other mods the car has had since last remap.
Old 24 April 2002, 03:06 PM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

If you have an Sti I dont think you can fit a prodrive ECU as map wont be suitable ? different connections too ? not sure.
Old 24 April 2002, 05:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cam and crank sensors are reversed on the STi as a possible safety measure to stop the wrong ECU firing on the wrong car.

For a UK car the MY99/00 PPP is a conservative increase in boost and Prodrive say the fuelling, timing are also remapped. MY01 and after it is an RPM dependent boost clamp.

PPP will keep your warranty if you have one, is expensive for what you get. Has excellent idle control, is fit and forget and very safe, and probably has the most R&D money behind it?

Link (with new software) is supposed to have sorted the idle issue and has the potential depending on the map for much better performance, but once you buy all the ancillaries (3 port solenoid, lambda, knocklink) and get it mapped, it works out more expensive if you consider that you get some exhaust and intercooler bits on the PPP.

If it wasn't for Ecutek I would be going for a Link now, but Ecutek is presently limited to MY99/00.

Doing it all again, I would have gone for a Link rather than a PPP when I purchased last year. The Link will fire your appetite for more mods which may or may not be a good thing.

[Edited by john banks - 4/24/2002 5:53:13 PM]
Old 24 April 2002, 07:31 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys.John the extra bits you get with the PPP are hardly worth having since in terms of performance they do very little. The Link due to its wide popularity also has a great resale value.The only real advantage of the PPP(IMHO) is the warranty issue.Of course the Link ECU unplugs in seconds and the normal ECU plugs in again if you did have a warranty issue that is(naughty!)