Bedford - ensuring under the 87.5db driveby limit

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2011, 05:35 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedford - ensuring under the 87.5db driveby limit

Hi peeps ..

Am looking for some constructive advice re thoughts on what options I have for getting under the (very low) drive by limits at Bedford .. so that excludes .. lift, keep away from other cars, take it easy etc ...

I've got a MY05 JDM Sti (twin scroll) with 3"catted Milltek exhaust and back box which usually is about 95-97db 3/4revs static ... so that is OK ... but I've nearly been pulled off before now at Goodwood for being 101 db driveby .. and even when putting on the directional bung that I have it only brings the noise levels down by 4-5 db ... so it is way off what Bedford seem to expect.

Is there any way of swopping out the back box to another to bring the noise down to acceptable levels ?

If so .. any thoughts on type/manufacturer ? .. and would this affect the tuning at all ?

or is it best just to steer clear ? Certainly the web seems to be full of 'tales of woe' and dislike for the way the track days are managed by Palmair .. although I am sure there is a larger number of satisfied (albeit quieter) customer .

Anyway .. appreciate your input

Chris
Old 21 July 2011, 05:40 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

A friend got thrown off in a standard GTR.... Ive heard of track days where the day starts with say 20 cars and by mid-day there are only 5 still going around as the others have been black flagged for noise

I wouldnt bother myself
Old 21 July 2011, 06:47 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

Gutted - I live in bedfordshire and when my car is ready that was gonna be one of my first tracks. I'll get thrown off on my first lap and thats only if I some how get past the initial test.

Don't know if this helps mate, what about trying Rockingham (Corby) think their noise limits are a bit higher - only a little bit further north for you
Old 21 July 2011, 06:55 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was with Budgie last month with his big build Impreza & he had to have a back box made by Simpson to make sure he was under the sound limits. It worked but I think maybe his HKS SSQV dump valve was tripping the drive by at one point on the track. He got a couple of warning s but was ok. Earlier in the morning a lot of cars inc std Porsches were thrown off for going over the sound limits.
Old 22 July 2011, 04:30 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Hmmm .. thanks all .. think I'm going to give it a miss ... plenty of other places to try !!
Old 22 July 2011, 05:15 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T20Driver

... but I've nearly been pulled off before now at Goodwood

these trackdays sound like fun.