Notices

Newbie Q. Re tubular manifolds and lag..

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2011, 08:52 AM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Q. Re tubular manifolds and lag..

Hi guys I've just registered and I'm loving the site, plenty of info and what looks like a good community.

Four days ago I bought my first impreza after a long line of turbo converted mins and a 323hp fiat coupe. The car is a 96 wrx and power felt a bit down, no spoolup until 4krpm.

I had it rr'd yesterday,fuel is ok but only managed 243.8hp and bizarrely 243lbft. The car is fitted with a zigen border system(any good?) and decat and has a tubular manifold which looks equal length as boxer noise has gone. Boost is STD z4 ecu 0.85 bar ish.

The question is do I keep the manifold on or try and source a STD manifold as having to wring it's neck to get boost after 4k is a bit annoying. Will the STD manifold be better? Just need some advise really seems way down on power considering full sys and decat pipe?

There is also a strange noise when I change gear, not wastegate or actuator. Normally I can't hear the turbo but in-between gearchanges I can hear a spool sound? Nothing to do with dumpvalve and there are no leaks on the boost circuit as I've had intercooler off and all ok. Could it be an up pipe leak, I would have thought that would have made more of a blowy sound tbh?

Sorry for the essay! Apart from the above car is mint, only 53k miles, stri seats, sti wishbones, alloy bonnet, no abs, GAB suspension..

Cheers for any advice/help/abuse haha
Davey
Old 13 July 2011, 10:31 AM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 13 July 2011, 11:42 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Ditch the equal lenght manifold, and fit a Harvey ported standard one
They are (even when properly mapped for, not just tossed under) known for loosing low end power/spoolup, and are not reccomended for power levels under 350/400 crank hp. (roughly said)
Old 13 July 2011, 11:49 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Davey96wrx
The question is do I keep the manifold on or try and source a STD manifold as having to wring it's neck to get boost after 4k is a bit annoying. Will the STD manifold be better? Just need some advise really seems way down on power considering full sys and decat pipe?
first of all welcome. your car was 260 bhp out of the box, so i don't think it is down that much power considering it's a 15 year old car. yes the full decat will help it to breath easier and spool a bit faster. i would be checking pipe work for leaks for a start.
Old 14 July 2011, 10:41 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

I've got a STD manifold and uppipe off eBay for bargain tenner! The STD uppipe really does look restrictive with a large step. What are the STD manifolds rated to power wise? And if I was to upgrade the up-pipe would it be a good combination with STD headers?

Cheers
Dave