Notices

head gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2011, 09:58 PM
whitenoises
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket repair

Right after the car sitting for over 6 months and money being tight im going to fix the head gaskets my self my subaru is a 1995 import wrx wagon prefacelift classic the turbo is TDO5 and the block is still silver as if at some point its had a recon block as the heads arnt the same silver colour no funny noise or knocks just engine is over heating after driving for only half an hour and its boiling Brought new rad new therostate bled the system as it should be yet still over heating so engine is coming out so i can strip the heads off any pointers or addvice much welcome or if a thread is already here would be brill . Also any ideas as what the best head gasket would be for my engine cheers for any addvice
Old 10 July 2011, 10:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well to start with im worried, your car shouldnt have a TD05 turbo, WRX wagons run a TD04 (UK wagons ran a TD05, dont ask me why )
You then have to understand the implications of doing your own head gaskets, like engine out, send engine off to get checked for warping etc, or you can just change the gaskets and hope for the best, which works out more expensive most of the time if they have warped
If your after gasket kits then try RCM, but this is where its going to pot, if the heads need skimming then thats your compression ratio out the window and you need different gaskets to compensate.
Not really a do at home thing unless you have a mate in an engineering company who can help you to do it properly

Tony
Old 10 July 2011, 11:17 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

before you pull it apart have you done a sniff test ?
Old 11 July 2011, 06:02 PM
whitenoises
Scooby Regular

cheers tony got a mate who can get the heads done or a company that done my red top vauxhall but defo a TD05 had it off befor to clean it up little oil burning from the copper washers and defo a import said the log book and jap hand and sevice book (not that i can read it) Dont realy know much about the different models but its the series 1 rounder head lights with the spark plugs with the bolck on the end not the coilpack on the inlet ??? if this helps driven it only hand full of times since xmas dont over heat sitting there on tic over but can only drive for half an hour befor its boiling over and all the water comes out the filler bottle behind passenger head light yet no mayo cant tell if there is water lose as it boils out yet starts first turn of the key no steam from the exhaust ????? PIDrifer sniff test mate sorry for the ignorance cheers
Old 11 July 2011, 09:58 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

sniff test will tell you if you actually have a failed headgasket, a local garage should be able to do it for a few quid, it only takes a few minutes, would be a shame to pull it apart only to find perfectly fine head gaskets !
Old 11 July 2011, 10:16 PM
whitenoises
Scooby Regular

cheers pal ive spent loads of money buying bits for it but ent got the hart to put them on .If it wasnt the head gaskets what could cause it to boil up so quick even when i keep the revs low changing gear at 2000 yet still wets its self ??
Old 12 July 2011, 09:41 PM
slyv12
Scooby Regular

Default water pump

have you checked the water pump? may have gone, I know its a cambelt off job but cheaper than headgaskets with waterpump at the same time.
Old 12 July 2011, 09:48 PM
Luckyking001
Scooby Newbie

Default Help

I know this is not the right place to ask this but I am running out of pacitence! Please help

How do I post a new thread?

Thanks in advance
Old 13 July 2011, 08:22 PM
whitenoises
Scooby Regular

well i thort that but spoke to a garage today an he seems to think its gaskets as well as last time i had taken it out when the temp gauge started to go up i put my foot down (just to get it home as id had it with this car) it was alittle hesitant and the machanic said the plugs were getting wet from the head gasket failer cheers for your help everyone but engine isalmost ready to come out now
Old 15 July 2011, 05:10 PM
slyv12
Scooby Regular

Good luck with it mate, let us know how you get on.