New owner / Basic Mods

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2011, 01:33 PM
Scooby Newbie Doo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner / Basic Mods

Hi All,

I have just purchased my first Impreza, it is the wagon '99 2000 Turbo.

The car is completely standard and has 127K on the clock. I am a complete novice when it comes to cars/engines etc, but i am very keen to learn.

Firstly are there any mods i can do to improve fuel consumption.

I would also like to know about mods such as exhaust, air intake and dump valve, the best most effective etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Adam
Old 28 June 2011, 01:45 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Hi there and welcome

To best way to save fuel and lower the cost, would be to buy a different car altogether Or jack it up and take the wheels off. Impreza and low fuel consumption don't usually go in the same sentence.

You got to have that flat4 burble, so at least change the back box to a larger aftermarket one
And it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you start changing air filter etc then (correct me if I am wrong someone) you will be looking at using more fuel

Last edited by EOEUMC; 28 June 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:56 PM
Scooby Newbie Doo
Scooby Newbie

Yes, quite agree lol,

Is it worth changing the air filter or are the standard ones good enough?
A decent backbox was going to be the first thing on the shopping list also.

Not overly bothered about fuel otherwise i would never have bought the car, just an idea.

Also as i dont know much about the history of the car, would an ECU reset be a good idea?

Thanks for the reply. :-)
Old 28 June 2011, 02:17 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a k&n or cosworth panel filter! With the miles the car has done best giving it a good service before doing ecu reset! If you reset it then you won't find any fault codes that the car might have!

Doug
Old 28 June 2011, 02:25 PM
Scooby Newbie Doo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice,

Are the panel filters better than the induction kits? You will have to excuse my ignorance, i am totally new to this.

What would be a decent dump valve without breaking the bank and are they easy to fit/install?

Every now and again there is a bit off lag before the turbo boost, is this normal.

Many thanks

Adam
Old 28 June 2011, 02:32 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Is it lag or hesitation! Could be boost control solenoid needing cleaned! The panel filters on new age are good for 400 bhp not sure about the classics! The car will run better with the original dump valve, after Market ones can sometimes cause running problems!

Doug
Old 28 June 2011, 02:40 PM
Scooby Newbie Doo
Scooby Newbie

It could be hesitation and not lag, i have only owned the car for just over a week. Would it be worth getting a boost gauge?

Would really like to learn more about the car, this is my first turbo car.

Sound like a dumbass but we all gotta start somewhere.

It was that Burble that caught me, i had to own an impreza
Old 28 June 2011, 02:44 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Here is a link to boost control solenoid,

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ontrolSolenoid

Would be a good idea to get a boost gauge then you know if you have any problems that are boost related!

Doug
Old 28 June 2011, 03:12 PM
Scooby Newbie Doo
Scooby Newbie

Fantastic

Scoobypedia, love it!! Got alot of reading to do.

Thanks for the advise peeps.

Adam
Old 28 June 2011, 04:11 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

As mentioned a "decent dump valve" is the one fitted to your car by Subaru when it was on the production line. Don't waste your money on a aftermarket one

As for mods, it's getting on a bit so maybe the drive train might not be able to cope with too many power hikes? It's worth thinking about suspension and brakes as these can make your car significantly faster from A to B without any change in BHP. Look up PowerStation as they provide their suspension mods in stages so it give you a good idea of what can be had for so many £ Also the better you can drive the faster the car will be so consider some training e.g. a track day with an instructor etc.

If the power route is still the one you want to take then prepare the car first, you need oil pressure, temperature, and boost pressure monitoring + knock detection at a minimum. Air/fuel ratio is also worth monitoring. For a good increase in power without too much mechanical stuff needed get a turbo back exhaust system (preferably a de-cat or with a sports cat), silicon pipe work for the intercooler (hard plastic ones prone to split under increased pressure), maybe a better panel filter though the Subaru one is good for over 300bhp, and an ECUTek remap. Should see 250-260bhp. After that your into bigger turbos etc. and ££££
Old 28 June 2011, 04:59 PM
Scooby Newbie Doo
Scooby Newbie

Some fantastic advise.

As the car is completely standard i didn't want too many mods anyway, just a few tweaks here and there to maximise the standard power.

I will look at getting the boost gauge, exhaust and panel filter and stick with the factory fitted dump valve.

Cheers and i will keep you posted.

Many thanks
Old 28 June 2011, 09:16 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

When it comes to dump valves everybody has their favourites. Yes a standard recirc dv is probably best, but it don't give you that cheesy smile when it makes that special noise
A good filter would be a good option but if you go induction you do get a bit more noise from under the bonnet from the extra air sucking in. Back box to start, but a decat exhaust would free up a bit more power. You should be able to remove the centre cat and the car should still pass an mot, my old scoob used to

Oh and a boost gauge is a great aftermarket item
Old 29 June 2011, 09:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
When it comes to dump valves everybody has their favourites. Yes a standard recirc dv is probably best, but it don't give you that cheesy smile when it makes that special noise or the tears when your engine misbehaves, or goes bang

EFA
Old 29 June 2011, 09:48 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget induction on these unless you want to replace your maf sensor on a fairly regular basis, which isnt a bad idea so I would change that anyway for a new one as they do have a tendency to cause issues (like hesitation and bad idle), and then normally something else (which is quite expensive )
As already said, full service, get a full health check on the car (a full service wont be cheap, all the belts and fluids will set you back 5-800 quid depending where you go) but your good for 2 years/30k miles then

Tony