Notices

Boot full of water, time for some koi??

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2011, 04:26 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot full of water, time for some koi??

The boot carpet was wet so I pulled the lot out to get to the water in the spare wheel well, dried that up so I had a look around and BOTH sides of the boot in little well areas were totally full of water (this now dried up).
There was about 3-4 inches of water per side.

I know my rear lamps are waterproof, and have been in the boot with a torch and a hose pipe to see. Now these drain pipes where do they come from and can they be removed and cleaned?? Also is there supposd to be a drain hole at the bottom of these wells??

As with both being soaking I`m thinking that the spare wheel well filled with water form the sides, as these couldn`t drain.

Car is a classic 1995 JDM WRX.

Last edited by Jimbob; 26 June 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 26 June 2011, 09:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There are no drains on any of them afaik.

The usual culprits for water ingress are, as follows, and in order of likelihood:
1. Rear lights.
2. Spoiler holes.
3. Boot seal.
4. Those vents/flaps for letting air OUT.
5. Rear screen seal.

I've had problems with all those EXCEPT No4 so far.
Old 26 June 2011, 11:36 PM
ukpaisley
Scooby Regular

Need to lok at mine as its been sunny and mine is dripping water from the rear end LOL,
Old 27 June 2011, 02:22 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
There are no drains on any of them afaik.

The usual culprits for water ingress are, as follows, and in order of likelihood:
1. Rear lights.
2. Spoiler holes.
3. Boot seal.
4. Those vents/flaps for letting air OUT.
5. Rear screen seal.

I've had problems with all those EXCEPT No4 so far.
Right after a play around I`ve had some progress.

First up is the drain for the ariel hole, and ariel.
This pipe drains the ariel into the pipe, then through into that L piece then out under the car (pipe out and L piece blocked).

Secondly. This pipe drains the fuel filler area.
This drains through the pipe into the L piece, and out under the car.
Again all blocked up and a blast of hose pipe sorted both.

Lastly is a draining grommit.
On the bottom of the passenger side "well" behind the jack is this grommit. I had a look underneath and wasn`t a normal type, so levered it out and cleaned it up (washed out the well as it was removed). The grommit has a hole on one side to allow water to flow from the "well" into it, then small passages on the rear facing part outside the car to allow water to drain out.
This was a surprise as I had thought they didn`t have them.

The drivers side "well" doesn`t have this grommit, but the flat ish area on the chassis is there that the passenger side grommit is fitted to, and its DEFFO looks a Subaru grommit. As it clips into place and the hole is a funny shape not round like you`d DIY to fit a grommit.

So looks like on mine the pipes had been draining into these wells either side, and when moving spilling over into the wheel well. As I put LOADS of talc on the boot and lights and spent a good 20mins hosing the bot down and no ingress through lights, rear screen, or spoiler (which I know has a tube of tiger seal holding it on (not me lol)).

So another way the boot can flood, and another way to fix it.
What a headache that was.

Last edited by Jimbob; 27 June 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 27 June 2011, 03:17 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

EDIT, just been out and had another look after loading up some pics.

Here are some better pic of the drain on the passenger side, including some from underneath.

BUT when I looked at this pic again from the drivers side,

I looked and thought that looks like another drain hole,

So just went back out (02:35am) and had a look and yes its a drain hole again all gunked up to bits, so took some pics of the grommit as its here infront of me.

Here`s the pics from under the car.

How it works.

Last edited by Jimbob; 27 June 2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 27 June 2011, 08:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good find. You must dream about being inside a damp boot.

Now get it all COMPLETELY dry, (I took the rear seats out and stood a dehumidifier in the car for three days, it removed best part of four litres of water with the air vents shut.).

Then spray all round those rusty looking areas with either Waxoyl, or Waxoyl "Stone-Guard".
Old 27 June 2011, 11:56 AM
Djgyro
Scooby Regular

Jimbob,
I don't like the idea of water inside my car let alone drain holes to let it out again! I'd try to reduce the water ingress first. The previous owner of my car had the aerial removed for aesthetics but coincidentally solved any water issue and I'm very careful about keeping the gutters down eitherside of the boot clean and free of debris and do not blast water around the boot or back window area when I'm washing her. The water protection on the classic shape Imprezas is poor to say the least. I had cause to park nose-down in a parking space whilst away on a course and this was enough to get water in the boot during a heavy downpour. Conversely parking nose-up slope the next night allowed water in the pax floorwell! You just can't win

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2011, 02:07 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Good find. You must dream about being inside a damp boot.

Now get it all COMPLETELY dry, (I took the rear seats out and stood a dehumidifier in the car for three days, it removed best part of four litres of water with the air vents shut.).

Then spray all round those rusty looking areas with either Waxoyl, or Waxoyl "Stone-Guard".
The rusty parts inside was from the original tool kit spanner, and some screw driver bits being in a pond, and underneath will get done when the car gets sprayed, I`m always hesitant about putting waxoyl over slightly rusty parts as it can incubate the rust. TBH will probably cover the area in a rust treatment first, then get it all black underneath, it won`t be like this for long.

Originally Posted by Djgyro
Jimbob,
I don't like the idea of water inside my car let alone drain holes to let it out again! I'd try to reduce the water ingress first. The previous owner of my car had the aerial removed for aesthetics but coincidentally solved any water issue and I'm very careful about keeping the gutters down eitherside of the boot clean and free of debris and do not blast water around the boot or back window area when I'm washing her. The water protection on the classic shape Imprezas is poor to say the least. I had cause to park nose-down in a parking space whilst away on a course and this was enough to get water in the boot during a heavy downpour. Conversely parking nose-up slope the next night allowed water in the pax floorwell! You just can't win
Yeah but the drain holes were totally blocked so any water running into the drains in the filler cap or ariel was collecting inside the car, and had no where to go, atleast now it can freely drain and IF water gets in from else where it can flow out through the drain holes (not ideal but better than before).
Atleast now with this solved I can move on to making the whole car water tight, as I`m sure that this will have solved a LOT of it.
Old 27 June 2011, 05:22 PM
ukpaisley
Scooby Regular

So no fish then ?, now I will have a look at my WRX and see what I can do !!
Old 27 June 2011, 10:45 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukpaisley
So no fish then ?, now I will have a look at my WRX and see what I can do !!
Nope no fish and we`ve had pretty bad rain today, and the boot and wells are dry as a proverbial arabs sandal.

So fingers crossed, thats sorted it.
Also forgot to mention the pipe going into the drain from the ariel was a slash cut so wasn`t fitting tight I cut the end off yesterday and pushed it home tightly. Time will tell when I`m driving in the rain, and washing the car see how much ingress I get.