Notices

Overheating...

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2011, 09:46 PM
dannyf 555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating...

I have a 95 wrx and just had the timing belt done along with a new rcm waterpump and highflow thermostat fitted. Started the car and let her run she seemed fine. There was a bit of steam but just figured it was the engine drying off and it went away after a while. Went back to the shed the following day to fit the exhaust and noticed the bottom hose from the rad to waterpump wasnt tightened and there was coolant leaking out. Tightened up the clamp and top up with coolant fitted the exhaust and stared the car to seal the exhaust putty and the engine temp rose very quickly. Lot of pipes had steam rising from them and the top and bottom rad hoses were solid. I turned the heater on in the car and hot air was blowing. Let her cool a bit and drained her of coolant. The first bit of coolant that came from the system was cold were as the rest was warm. Also the fan on the rad didnt activate. The pipe from the top of the header tank to the rad was cold aswell. Is it airlocked or fooked?
Old 15 June 2011, 10:46 PM
dannyf 555
Scooby Newbie

Anyone any notion on this?
Old 15 June 2011, 10:54 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

sounds like an airlock mate
Old 15 June 2011, 11:38 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

yup sounds like u need to bleed it out.

remove the turbo water feed pipe and fill through this with the rad cap off, I always back fill the radiator too by removing the top hose, filling the rad using the hose, then fill the engine block using the hose. next i refit the top hose and do the filling via the turbo hose the water will come out of the expansion bottle.

I tend to get less air locks this way
Old 16 June 2011, 06:55 AM
tubbo
Scooby Newbie

fill the system till the header tank is 3/4 full takes bit of time and pour it in slowly.Leave the cap off run the engine at 2000rpm holding the throttle cable with your hand using a clove as it gets hot.When the engine warms up wait till the thermostat opens and the water in the header tank may rise but if you hold it a 2000rpm it should not overflow make sure you keep topping it up as you dont want it to run dry,then wait till the fan kicks in fill the header tank till its full replace cap and then check top and bottom hoses they should be warm.