Impreza STi Prodrive 2003 problems..clunking and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2011, 02:56 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza STi Prodrive 2003 problems..clunking and hesitation

Hi guys,

finally took the plunge and have bought an STi. Unfortunately I'm having a couple issues with it already, less than a week from buying it - i think the problems were there prior to me buying it, but just not obvious in test drive!

It has uprated drilled/grooved discs front and back, when braking from speed the front pair whine quite loudly, a bit like a a jet landing sound! Any ideas?

It suffers from hesitation/kangaroo type acceleration. Worst 1st/2nd gear, low ish revs. I cleaned the boost solenoid valve out alst night, no help though. Not sure what else it could be?

Lastly, there is a clunking coming from rear, drivers side i think. Tends to be worst at slow speeds, or at least that's when you can hear it! like when in traffic. Also when you put the handbrake on when stationary, give it a bit of throttle, there feels like there is a bit of movement in the mechanics of the car, but yet it goes nowhere. I've been told there should be a little of that, bit of movement in the transmission system. Not having had a 4x4 system before I'm maybe just not used to it.

Any help much appreciated. Other than these issues, it's certainly a bit of a beast! A lot more tail happy than i expected if you give it some welly going round a corner!!

Justin
Old 08 June 2011, 03:08 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

The Knocking may be rear shocks. common on newage sti's
Old 08 June 2011, 03:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grooved discs will whine a little when breaking, should be no judder though.
What fuel are you running your car on?
Tyres also play a big part in the cars handling, whats on the front and rear and how much tread is left?

Tony
Old 08 June 2011, 03:34 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have grilled grooved discs on my blob sti and they are noisy when braking.
shouldnt judder though that could be warped discs
Old 08 June 2011, 03:41 PM
Grant Hay
Scooby Regular

does it have an aftermarket dump valve as this can cause a jerkyness , generally when changing gear.

also i have drilled /grovved discs too and they make the same noise you describe.

as for the knocking noise, cant help there but im sure someone will soon

cheers
Old 08 June 2011, 03:54 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

cheers for comments all. No aftermarket dump valve, so can't be that.. Good to know that there are others who have that noise with the brakes, maybe just put up with that one then (though it is pretty loud!). No judder at least..

I hope the rear knocking is the shock, but i fear it could be transmission related. I'm sure it doesnt make the noise when in neutral. also, running shell v power, so shouldn't be the cause for the hesitation either.

Cheers.
Old 12 June 2011, 11:23 AM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

right, got my STi booked into Jim King's garage in Inverurie, following some good reviews on here. Hopefully he will get to the bottom of both issues - rear knocking and hesitation/kangaroo style acceleration under light throttle from 1500rpm to 3000rpm. Looking forward to it being a smooth drive!

Since I last posted, I've discovered the knocking also happens when coasting along slowly in neutral - i got some relief in this as I figure with the car in neutral, none of the 4x4 system i.e. propshaft, transfer box, driveshafts etc should be moving and so it definately can't be related to them? Am I right?

I'm thinking it must be a shock absorber...I can almost relate to what some people have described as if it's almost a dragging senstation along with the knocking.. strange though as I'm sure it seems to get worse once the car is up to temperature and has driven 5miles or so. Not sure what else it could be though?

Hopefully have a better idea tomorrow though!

Cheers

Justin

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2011, 11:31 AM
Grant Hay
Scooby Regular

Hi , even though the car is in neutral and coasting everything on the 4x4 system is still working /moving , from the wheel through to the diffs -propshaft right to the gear box , its just there is no drive being transmitted through the clutch from the engine.

dont panic untill its been checked, but these cars are pretty bad it seems for sticking rear shock absorbers, so maybe not as bad as you thought.

cheers
Old 12 June 2011, 12:49 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

I get the kangarooing effect in my 03 sti mate,same as you usually low gears and when setting off,i think its down to been smooth with the clutch,not letting it up to fast in low gears at low speed,you will get it alot less when you get use to the transmission as i did.