Notices

Overboosting - lets try and sort this out!

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2011, 01:44 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Overboosting - lets try and sort this out!

OK.

before reading this excuse my lack of engine knowledge, i do bodywork not engines, im learning lol

i bought a 98 uk turbo 2000, i think i have worked out its overboosting on high revs in 5th at high speeds. it pulls lovely around the town etc etc no noises or anything unusual, but when i first got the car, i went to a private road rolling on to it at 50-60mph foot down 80-90 then brick wall then backed off a bit then foot down again and upto 135mph..

my question is why would it be over boosting, ive looked on the car for a MBC just incase the last owner has turned it up, i cant find one, i dont really know what mods it has on it apart from where the coil pack is to the right of it there is a blue silicone house going to what im guessing is a Dump valve or something down by the righthand side of the TMIC, so im guessing it has that, it has a standard backbox and exhaust as far as i can tell, it has GT motorsport sticker on the back tailgate, so again im not sure if its had anything else done which could be causing it to overboost? like so many people on here, its fine around the streets but on the motorway its "Hitting a brick wall time!" only once at high speeds then it stops when i back off and re-boot...

I think my options are to buy a MBC and fit it with a gauge and find out the boost level and adjust it to the proper level if its high, or firstly clean out the boost solenoid..

just would like to know what else could cause the car to be overboosting? and any other tips to check for whilst looking to fix the problem..

Many thanks!

Last edited by 99jdee; 08 June 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08 June 2011, 01:46 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

just quickly thought if it has a different ecu could this be set for the boost to be higher etc causing the overboost?
Old 08 June 2011, 03:08 PM
newman90
Scooby Regular

Hi bud its defo hittin fuel cut there due to spiking, could be a few things, Could be a crack in your waste gate ( unlikely ) or it could either be that the prev owner has tampered with the actuator/ the map has been changed.. i would recomended getting a second hand EBC not a manual one and plumbing it in. Try to avoid hitting fuel cut as it is no means good for your engine.
Old 08 June 2011, 05:40 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

yer i will try not to hit fuel cut. tbh when it hits fuel cut it is only when its accelerating at top end speed, normal driving it doesnt fuel cut at all.. can i assume that the normal driving is safe? no fuel cut at all?

thanks btw.
Old 08 June 2011, 05:45 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

if i was you i would take your car to a rolling road or a knowledgable scoob tuner/mechanic and get it health checked over before doing anything else re:modifying etc
Old 08 June 2011, 08:59 PM
newman90
Scooby Regular

aslong as your not hitting fuel cut then it should be fine to drive, but as above i would get it on a rolling road