Advice needed from newage JDM owners

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2011, 10:07 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed from newage JDM owners

Hi guys

Hoping I could get some advice from some newage JDM owners.

I am planning on getting an Open Source map but before I do that, I want to make sure I have done some reasonable upgrades to make the most out of it. I have the following on my 2003 JDM blobeye:

Full 3" decat Milltek exhaust (yet to be fitted)
STI Performance Panel Filter
ACVR
NGK PFR7B plugs

I dont want to spend crazy money as I am not chasing figures, I just want it to feel good. It has been suggested that I upgrade my standard fuel pump to a Walbro 255. Is this a good addition?

Can you suggest anything else I should do?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Shirag
Old 01 June 2011, 10:10 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

walbro is a good mod. you may also look at an adjustable FPR but i dont think you will need one if your hp figures are modest. your injectors and turbo should cope ok as well
Old 01 June 2011, 10:21 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Go EcuTek mate.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:30 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Sorry I dont have anything to contribute to your thread, but was hoping you could give us a review of the exhaust after its been fitted.

Im planning the same mods, and was thinking of this exhaust to replace a Scorpian cat back, which I love but my neighbours hate.
Old 01 June 2011, 11:13 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SP STI
Hi guys

Hoping I could get some advice from some newage JDM owners.

I am planning on getting an Open Source map but before I do that, I want to make sure I have done some reasonable upgrades to make the most out of it. I have the following on my 2003 JDM blobeye:

Full 3" decat Milltek exhaust (yet to be fitted)
STI Performance Panel Filter
ACVR
NGK PFR7B plugs

I dont want to spend crazy money as I am not chasing figures, I just want it to feel good. It has been suggested that I upgrade my standard fuel pump to a Walbro 255. Is this a good addition?

Can you suggest anything else I should do?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Shirag

Hi there
i would suggest Walbro pump you are don't need,because you have all ready fitted,uprated filter will be good addition,AVC-R is not for you,because you are running still stock turbo and there you are don't need,because your ECU can control boost very good,just fit 3-port boost solenoid and you will save more money.

Decated exhaust Miltek is good choice.

Jura
Old 02 June 2011, 12:03 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Jura said, 3 port boost solenoid, forget the avc-r, the standard ecu is considerably better than one of those, flog it and get some money back
You should already be running 7b's in your car (this is what they came with out of the factory unlike uk cars that run 6b's), and really I wouldnt go open source, yes its cheaper but with ecutek (also depends where your car came from, litchfield cars already run a uk fuel map so ecutek license paid for ) and there are options available to ecutek that are not available to os, like in gear boost etc (see the likes of richard bulmer for this feature).
I would also invest in a KS3 too, you cant go far wrong with one of those

Tony
Old 02 June 2011, 07:28 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
As Jura said, 3 port boost solenoid, forget the avc-r, the standard ecu is considerably better than one of those, flog it and get some money back
You should already be running 7b's in your car (this is what they came with out of the factory unlike uk cars that run 6b's), and really I wouldnt go open source, yes its cheaper but with ecutek (also depends where your car came from, litchfield cars already run a uk fuel map so ecutek license paid for ) and there are options available to ecutek that are not available to os, like in gear boost etc (see the likes of richard bulmer for this feature).

Tony
OS has had in gear boost control for ages along with other features not available in ecutek but totally agree with regard to the avcr - this is not required on the car with the std turbo so I would sell it on to help pay for the modifications/mapping.

Walbro 255 would be a definite though for safety purposes.
Old 02 June 2011, 09:15 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Sorry I dont have anything to contribute to your thread, but was hoping you could give us a review of the exhaust after its been fitted.

Im planning the same mods, and was thinking of this exhaust to replace a Scorpian cat back, which I love but my neighbours hate.

No problem mate, will let you know once its all on and mapped!
Old 02 June 2011, 09:18 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

i put a 3inch milltek on mine last year, prev had a vortex... love the milltek, quiet on tick and just about right on full chat..certainly noticed a difference going to a full 3 inch system and a map tweak....one of the best things i did getting the milltek....
Old 02 June 2011, 09:27 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there
i would suggest Walbro pump you are don't need,because you have all ready fitted,uprated filter will be good addition,AVC-R is not for you,because you are running still stock turbo and there you are don't need,because your ECU can control boost very good,just fit 3-port boost solenoid and you will save more money.

Decated exhaust Miltek is good choice.

Jura

Thanks Jura
Old 02 June 2011, 11:00 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Tony
Originally Posted by dynamix
OS has had in gear boost control for ages along with other features not available in ecutek but totally agree with regard to the avcr - this is not required on the car with the std turbo so I would sell it on to help pay for the modifications/mapping.

Walbro 255 would be a definite though for safety purposes.

Thanks Tony, Duncan, much appreciated. I have some questions if you don’t mind.

I already have the AVCR fitted (although just running standard boost as its not been mapped) as I was told that stock ECU can only go up to about 1.4 bar boost. Was hoping that I can go up to about 1.6 bar with the AVCR. Is this right?

I had 7b’s so replaced them with the same. The car was imported as new but unfortunately, not from Litchfield or anywhere like that so the license has not been purchased yet which is why I am looking at OS. When you say in gear boost control, what does this mean? I have heard good things about OS which is why I am considering that. Duncan, can you tell me more about other features available in OS which aren’t available for ecutek?

I will get the Walbro 255, is that just the model I need to search for and any suggestions where to get it from?

Lastly, how important is it to get the KS3? Is it something that can wait?

Thanks guys, I know there are a lot of questions but no better place to ask than here!
Old 02 June 2011, 11:08 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony, Duncan, much appreciated. I have some questions if you don’t mind.

I already have the AVCR fitted (although just running standard boost as its not been mapped) as I was told that stock ECU can only go up to about 1.4 bar boost. Was hoping that I can go up to about 1.6 bar with the AVCR. Is this right?

I had 7b’s so replaced them with the same. The car was imported as new but unfortunately, not from Litchfield or anywhere like that so the license has not been purchased yet which is why I am looking at OS. When you say in gear boost control, what does this mean? I have heard good things about OS which is why I am considering that. Duncan, can you tell me more about other features available in OS which aren’t available for ecutek?

I will get the Walbro 255, is that just the model I need to search for and any suggestions where to get it from?

Lastly, how important is it to get the KS3? Is it something that can wait?

Thanks guys, I know there are a lot of questions but no better place to ask than here!

Stock ECU can control boost up to 1.5-1.7bar.Depends on your turbo mostly how much boost you can run.

Walbro probably best get from Mark@Lateral Performance or this https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...a-upgrade.html

KS3 you can get from Aztec performance £267

http://www.superhids.co.uk/phormula-...analysers.html

Jura
Old 04 June 2011, 09:20 AM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Stock ECU can control boost up to 1.5-1.7bar.Depends on your turbo mostly how much boost you can run.

Walbro probably best get from Mark@Lateral Performance or this https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...a-upgrade.html

KS3 you can get from Aztec performance £267

http://www.superhids.co.uk/phormula-...analysers.html

Jura

Cheers Jura, I will definitely go for the pump from Lateral, but will have to have a think about the KS3.

Duncan & Tony - Please can I have your comments/thoughts on the other stuff.
Old 04 June 2011, 09:37 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Cheers Jura, I will definitely go for the pump from Lateral, but will have to have a think about the KS3.

Duncan & Tony - Please can I have your comments/thoughts on the other stuff.
Hi

As Jura has said the std ecu will control the boost very nicely when looking for that boost level, it is also a better way to do it as it allows the ability for the ecu to put the engine into limp mode should it feel something is not right. This may sounds like a bad thing til it saves your engine. Running boost control through an external boost controller would mean it would be merrily boosting away while the ecu is panicing. Sort of like someone else with ear plugs and a blind fold pressing your accelerator pedal while you are driving

Personally I would sell the AVCR and get the boost control back with the ecu and use the money raised from that to provide yourself with some kind of det warning by the likes of a Phormula KS3.

Both Ecutek and the other software (be that open source or other commercial software that I use) have access to the same elements of the map that control the car. Both are simply ways of getting a different set of values into what Denso/Subaru designed. Pretty sure that on both of the softwares that the feature set is the same with launch control, switcheable maps and the like so really it comes down to your choice of mapper and this is always a hard decision... base that on results, how contactable, how well you get on with them, price, availability, feedback etc etc and you will appreciate that it isnt straightforward.

I am happy to help if you want and travel throughout the UK. As I dont use ecutek flash software, the costs for you are generally cheaper by the order of the £150-£200 license fee that you have to pay down that route.
Old 07 June 2011, 03:45 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Hi

As Jura has said the std ecu will control the boost very nicely when looking for that boost level, it is also a better way to do it as it allows the ability for the ecu to put the engine into limp mode should it feel something is not right. This may sounds like a bad thing til it saves your engine. Running boost control through an external boost controller would mean it would be merrily boosting away while the ecu is panicing. Sort of like someone else with ear plugs and a blind fold pressing your accelerator pedal while you are driving

Personally I would sell the AVCR and get the boost control back with the ecu and use the money raised from that to provide yourself with some kind of det warning by the likes of a Phormula KS3.

Both Ecutek and the other software (be that open source or other commercial software that I use) have access to the same elements of the map that control the car. Both are simply ways of getting a different set of values into what Denso/Subaru designed. Pretty sure that on both of the softwares that the feature set is the same with launch control, switcheable maps and the like so really it comes down to your choice of mapper and this is always a hard decision... base that on results, how contactable, how well you get on with them, price, availability, feedback etc etc and you will appreciate that it isnt straightforward.

I am happy to help if you want and travel throughout the UK. As I dont use ecutek flash software, the costs for you are generally cheaper by the order of the £150-£200 license fee that you have to pay down that route.
Thank you guys for your help and suggestions.

I have ordered the Walbro pump from the link Jura provided.

With regards to the 3 port boost soleniod, any suggestions for makes and rough costs? I am going to take your advice and remove the AVC-R, do you know how much they tend to go for? I have the black one with all the wiring.

My car also has an HKS SSQV dump valve but I was thinking of changing it to a recirc. What would be better for the car and if it is a recirc, what are good upgrades to the standard one?

Thanks
Old 07 June 2011, 03:49 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Any 3 port solenoid would be fine tbh - either one from the classic 92-96 impreza or a prodrive one seem to be the most popular. they tend to go for £30-£50 second hand. I always carry a few new mac 3 ports in stock with me when out mapping which I charge £70 for fitted with the vacuum hose aswell.

AVCR should fetch £200 every day of the week IMO.

If you are taking off teh SQQV then the std dump valve is the best by far and will always be more reliable than an aftermarket one.

HTH
Old 07 June 2011, 04:15 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Any 3 port solenoid would be fine tbh - either one from the classic 92-96 impreza or a prodrive one seem to be the most popular. they tend to go for £30-£50 second hand. I always carry a few new mac 3 ports in stock with me when out mapping which I charge £70 for fitted with the vacuum hose aswell.

AVCR should fetch £200 every day of the week IMO.

If you are taking off teh SQQV then the std dump valve is the best by far and will always be more reliable than an aftermarket one.

HTH
As it is the black one, I was expecting it to be higher. Somewhere about £300 which is what it seems to be going for in the thread below:

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...k-550-new.html

Will see what I can find in terms of boost solenoids and its a good thing that I have the standard recirc so will get that put back on. Then I call see the SSQV and the adapter.
Old 07 June 2011, 04:17 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I havent checked prices for them recently sorry - they are always in demand though as they do a great job of controlling boost for when you need higher boost levels.
Old 07 June 2011, 04:43 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

Tony
We can offer these features too as we have the latest Race Rom
Old 07 June 2011, 04:57 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antony@indigo-gt
We can offer these features too as we have the latest Race Rom
thought race rom was 06+ cars only?
Old 07 June 2011, 04:59 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

Bugger missed the '03 part. It is for the DBW cars yeah. Ecutek does still have a good range of features though for the earlier cars
Old 07 June 2011, 05:06 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Bugger missed the '03 part. It is for the DBW cars yeah. Ecutek does still have a good range of features though for the earlier cars
But Open Source offer same features and some more for lot less than EcuTek.

Jura
Old 07 June 2011, 05:09 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

True but I have also seen it brick a few ECU's and engines due to bad definitions.
Old 07 June 2011, 05:17 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

True but I have also seen it brick a few ECU's and engines due to bad definitions.
Agreed,but mostly everything depend from mapper,than SW which using.

Jura
Old 07 June 2011, 05:20 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

I agree with that
Old 07 June 2011, 06:08 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerDurden

On Grudgement day I was recorded at 88db at 5'000 rpm with my full decat 3" Miltek .