Notices

11mm ARP headstuds

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2011, 02:05 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11mm ARP headstuds

I have got a new set of ARP studs for my 2.5 build and was just going through the installation procedure and came to installing the studs to the block. It says to install them 'hand tight only'? How tight is hand tight? Is there an actual torque setting for this or do you just nip them with an allen key? Also can i just confirm that they go into the block dry or do i lube the thread that enters the block
Cheers,
James.
Old 28 May 2011, 02:22 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright mate they should have come with some lube to ensure smooth threading into the block and just get an allen key and give a nice pull which when using a regular allen key[not ratchet attachment type] will be sufficent.
Be sure to blow out the thread holes before installing though
Old 28 May 2011, 02:32 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Hand tight means hand tight. They should not be bottomed out. For piece of mind you can seat them by nipping them with a allen key and then backing off 180 degrees. Then tightenthem by hand.

Then with the heads on and using the supplied ARP lube I tighten them in four stages. Using Subaru's sequence I do 20, 40, 60 and finally 85 ftlbs I then leave them over night and then just recheck in the morning. (Don't slacken off just check them)
Old 28 May 2011, 02:38 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ryan, Thanks for the reply
Old 28 May 2011, 02:41 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Hand tight means hand tight. They should not be bottomed out. For piece of mind you can seat them by nipping them with a allen key and then backing off 180 degrees. Then tightenthem by hand.

Then with the heads on and using the supplied ARP lube I tighten them in four stages. Using Subaru's sequence I do 20, 40, 60 and finally 85 ftlbs I then leave them over night and then just recheck in the morning. (Don't slacken off just check them)
Thanks for the reply Daz, so i should not be lubing the thread that sits in the block? Also what worries me is my hand tight could be different to someone elses hand tight . Why cant they just give a torque setting to make it easier
Is there not a chance of the studs coming loose at all or when the heads are on and torqued down that will pull the stud tight in the block and should not move?

Last edited by JdcTypeR; 28 May 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 28 May 2011, 02:46 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jdc1
Thanks for the reply Daz, so i should not be lubing the thread that sits in the block? Also what worries me is my hand tight could be different to someone elses hand tight . Why cant they just give a torque setting to make it easier
Lubricate both threads with the ARP lube. Don't worry about differences in hand tight. Just nip them up with your fingers that's all.
Old 28 May 2011, 02:48 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

ok Daz thankyou