Notices

Irritating noise

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2011, 09:53 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irritating noise

Ahreet me cars developed abit of a squeak/creaking noise from the front end, i know it could be a few different things but just want to know if any1 else has had the same problem. It sounds as though its coming from the passenger side wheel. If i turn the steering wheel to the right it makes this noise if driving forward or if in reverse turning the wheel to the left. I have had the cv boots off and there fully greased up. Does any1 have any suggestions?

cheers

paul
Old 19 April 2011, 12:52 PM
SCOOBY-DARREN-1980
Scooby Newbie

my 1997 impreza does exactly the same so i am to interested if anyone knows what it could be
Old 19 April 2011, 03:40 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Quite possibly the wheel bearing. I had that kind of noise when I didn't do the big hub nut up tight enough and it started to come undone. This put more load on the bearing and made that noise. Didn't drive it very far at all, tightened back up and fixed. It happened after having taken the drive shafts out to do the clutch and I ended up buying new ones so they locked properly. I didn't expect it to make that kind of noise but it did! Worth checking the hub nut is done up tight though.
Old 19 April 2011, 10:13 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tjmatt
Quite possibly the wheel bearing. I had that kind of noise when I didn't do the big hub nut up tight enough and it started to come undone. This put more load on the bearing and made that noise. Didn't drive it very far at all, tightened back up and fixed. It happened after having taken the drive shafts out to do the clutch and I ended up buying new ones so they locked properly. I didn't expect it to make that kind of noise but it did! Worth checking the hub nut is done up tight though.
cheers mate i will have a look at it on friday when i get the time belt changed and keep this posted

cheers

paul
Old 19 April 2011, 11:07 PM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

my 98 turbo 2000 did that... i split the driveshaft from the hub just enough to fire some high temp grease into the bearing, and touch wood it hasnt made the noise since...

mine made the noise when setting off, and coming to a steady stop.
Old 22 April 2011, 02:10 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tjmatt
cheers mates looks as though you were right. just stripped the passenger side wheel down popped out the drive shaft and to my surprise the wheel bearing had alot of play so took it out and it fell to bits, put in a new 1 and the noise seems to have gone . only downside is that 1 of me pistons on the calliper is seized, so looks as though i will need to take it easy until i find sum new 1's or find somewhere to recon them.

cheers

paul