Notices

Scoobyclinic fibre-glass arch repair panels - anyone used?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2011, 03:38 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobyclinic fibre-glass arch repair panels - anyone used?

Hi All,

My MY95 wagon has some corrosion in the usual Impreza spots at the rear of the arches where the bumper ends fix. I had it 'repaired' by a local bodyshop some 18 months ago but it looks like they just sanded back, fillered and painted without treating the rust. I have ground back the paint, hoping to find reasonably good metal that just wanted rust converter (got some Bilt Hamber stuff - supposed to be amongst the best in classic car mag reviews etc) and paint. Unfortunately my rear quarter is holed at the top of the arch and at the back on the bumper bracket/mud trapping 'shelf'. The inner arch liner panel is also holed to match at the rear. I have only done the offside so far but on the face of it this is the worst side.

I've read the old threads on this issue and the recurring theme seems to be that this is a swine to get rid of. I have some faith in this stuff for converting the rust and subsequent protection, but I hadn't expected these holes and so now am worried that my panels are too far gone. There is factory seam sealer between the quarter panel and the arch liner and I suspect there is moisture and corrosion between this seam sealer and the metal, probably all the way around the arch.

Replacement quarter panels are £400 each from the dealers. I see from Scoobyclinic's site that they do fibre glass repair panels for a lot less.
http://www.scoobyclinic.com/shop/sty...hrepairkit.jpg

Has anyone gone down this route? What do you think of them? What are the downsides (if any) of using fibreglass for the arches?

Cheers.