Notices

Question about my steering?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2002, 10:15 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may seem a bit stupid but here goes..... recently got my Type R and can't fault it, it's great, but.......I always seem to be steering slightly to the right all the time!!
If I hold the wheel straight/level the car will start to steer slightly to the left meaning I have to steer to the right.

I have checked tyre pressures, they are all equal and I am not getting any uneven wear on my tyres. I have 17" wheels on my car so I understand they may tram line a little on some roads.

Is something f***ed? should I have it checked (tracking etc)

Or am I being a complete spanner and have nothing to worry about?
Old 18 April 2002, 10:10 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

Does it pull to the right if you drive on the wrong side of the road? Imprezas are very camber-sensitive, so it might just be this. If the car pulls to the left on both sides of the road, then it's probably just the tracking.
Old 18 April 2002, 11:44 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Question

Mine does this too
Old 18 April 2002, 01:17 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

I will have to try driving on the other side of the road then.......but other drivers will have to move out of my way!

Thanks for the info.
Old 18 April 2002, 02:08 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Yes, they tend to be quite camber sensitive, especially if you have had wider tyres fitted.

Get the wheels aligned and balanced properly. Then go look for a wide one-way street with camber on both sides (for rain drainage) and give it a go.

You'll be surprised to find that there's no road that's absolutely flat - water will puddle badly when it rains!
Old 18 April 2002, 03:27 PM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

My 98 MY GT does the same soon after the first dumper change and re allignment.Never managed to fix the problem. It always pull to the right side on both sides of the road. Never had an accident ,not damaged wheels, alot of wheel alignments and no change at all.
Steering wheel stays a little bit to the right side on straight road and if I turn it to the center car turns left.

If somebody can help I will be the most happy man on the world.

Elias
Old 19 April 2002, 10:03 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Question

I have the same on my car. The strange thing is that after the wheels were changed to 17" recently everything was fine, the balance and tracking was spot on, no wobble and let go of the wheel and it stayed dead straight.

Then, I replaced my brakes, front pads, rear disks & pads, and it developed the slight "pulling to the left" thing. It's only slight, but definitely not due to camber.

Someone suggested rotating the front wheels 180 degrees in case it is just a change of the balance from having all 4 wheels off, but this hasn't done much.

Bizarre...

[Edited by Kempo - 4/19/2002 10:05:14 AM]