Notices

EJ20G engine overhaul, Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2011, 07:08 PM
oyway
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ20G engine overhaul, Help please?

Hello,
I have a 1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (European version) with EJ20G engine (with original charge cooler!)
I'm living in Israel, and it's a very hot country and stupid country.
The "living in Israel" part in important because it makes two problems.
First of all, the Turbocharged Legacy never sold here, so my car is the only Legacy Turbo in Israel. Finding spare parts is very hard...
The second problem is the summer. The summer here is very very hot (100F and more) and the winter is pretty cold. The summer kills the cars....
My engine is going to die, It traveled about about 200,000 miles and that's enough for it.
I can find an used Impreza Turbo engine, but it will be hard and expensive and I can't really know what the engine I will find had in it past.
I want to make an overhaul to my old and original engine, I need Gaskets, Bearing (crank bearing) and rings.
I searched in Google and in some parts shops for kits, but I found too much stuff. can somebody help me find the right parts?
I want good quality parts.
Thank you very much, sorry about my lousy English.
Daniel.

Last edited by oyway; 04 April 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04 April 2011, 09:03 PM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What signs tell you that your old engine is going to die?

Parts you need are:
1. Cometic head gasket - 1.6mm
2. Rod and main bearings, people swear by ACL but the last build I did I used King Bearings from maperformance.com since they claim to have better embedability than other bearings. This is because I knew the engine was not going to built in a perfect clean room environment.
3. Never bought piston rings so can't comment on those.
4. OEM oil pump, your oil pump must be worn out by now
5. OEM timing belt - service interval for timing belt is 60k and you're way over that.
6. Misc gaskets - for example here:150565468255. This comes with a 2.5 head gasket as well, which you will not need.
7. Water pump - just some extra insurance.

However if you're not sure what parts you need, I question the wisdom of trying to rebuild your engine. I think the EJ series engines are more complex to rebuild than straight inline engines, so I recommend you do lots more reading before you decide whether to rebuild it yourself.

You will also need to budget for measurement equipment for at a minimum checking crank to bearing clearances (Plastigage), head and block flatness, cylinder roundness.

Last edited by saiklon; 04 April 2011 at 09:16 PM.