Notices

Rear Creaks & Rattles - solutions !

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2011, 08:23 PM
Gaity
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Creaks & Rattles - solutions !

Evening all,

I know that this is a common problem especially for Newage cars and in this respect here's what I've found with regards our creaks & rattles on my 05 STi at the rear:-

> OEM rear struts are prone to failure

> Take out rear seat (top & bottom) and place some dynamat or equivalent over the middle bolt / hook on the top seat hook

> Whilst seats are out tighten the 2 vertical brakcets behind the rear seat either side of the arm rest

> Grease the boot lift / spring mechanism

> Press the spoiler down from outside the car and listen for creaking on the spoiler itself

> Check / grease / replace anti roll bar bushes, anti roll bar link arm, sway bar bushes, endlink bushes & droplinks

> Open boot and check the rear windscreen is secure at the bottom!

> Under the rear parcel shelf you'll see a black plastic box covering the middle seat belt mechanism, it can become very loose so jam something in there or hold it with more dynamat

> Check jack is secure and try tightening it by using a screw driver instead of just having it finger tight

> Check spare wheel is secure

> Check the upper seat belt mounts inside the rear plastic pillars are not loose (just pop out the plastic pillar covering to gain access)

Please feel free to add to this list

There is also another general "rattles" thread on NASIOC which might be useful but it is quite long !

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898929

Last edited by Gaity; 31 March 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added new paragraph re. NASIOC.
Old 31 March 2011, 08:28 PM
Lofty91
Scooby Regular

Turning the volume up works for me

I have found a lot less rattles and bangs from the rear since fitting BC coilovers
Old 01 April 2011, 09:01 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

My rear "shelf" started rubbing recently. Temporarily cured by using my gynaecological skills by pushing my fist through holes I found and pushing the fabric shelf away from the steel bit. soon to be recurring, no doubt