Notices

remapping a w reg impreza

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2011, 03:41 AM
rssmotorx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remapping a w reg impreza

hi all my buddy has a w reg impreza turbo, it has a print out at 248.6, not sure what its had done, its got a turbo back s/s exhaust, air filter.
can he get his standard ecu remapped or would he have to change it, if so what do you guys recommend
thanks for your time, jays
Old 22 March 2011, 07:14 AM
gazza0175
Scooby Regular

I think its an ECUtek map mate, simon at jolly green monster does it for 550+VAT i believe
Old 22 March 2011, 12:42 PM
Aamar786
Scooby Regular

from personal experiance mate i would just speak to simon and get a simtek! will cost u bout £1000, i had a wreg uk impreza running 349.1 bhp with simtek benefits are 2 maps one on high boost and one on low boost, much smoother running car, and remove the mafsensor which is the biggest thing for me as these are so common to go, in 3 years ull probs need atleast 3 of them which will cost u over 100 quid ago but with simtek it removes the maff so u make ur money back by not havin to buy mafs, plus u have a option off anti lag and launch control for extra £150, also the mafs cause engine damage when there runing ****! i shud know that after i bought my p1 last month for 8k and blew the bottom end after 2days cause of a **** maf so now im spending £4k for a 2.1 stroker rebuild, luckily i got a simtek and 6 speed conversion allready out of my old car read to go in to the p1 which is back 2moro! cant wait!!
Old 22 March 2011, 01:10 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rssmotorx
hi all my buddy has a w reg impreza turbo, it has a print out at 248.6, not sure what its had done, its got a turbo back s/s exhaust, air filter.
can he get his standard ecu remapped or would he have to change it, if so what do you guys recommend
thanks for your time, jays
The above is possible from just a de-cat exhaust and panel filter change, though I'd check the turbo pipework to see if some sort of manual boost controller has been fitted (would be easy to see if a boost gauge is fitted as the standard boost is 0.9bar). Probably also has the earlier version of the MY99/00 ECU with the better boost map.

As mentioned an ECUTek remap is probably his best bet if not planning major modifications to the car, something like a SIMTEK would be overkill / costly and to be honest a lot can be achieved with the standard ECU, e.g. fitting a bigger turbo etc.

The re-map may not lead to particularly big power increases with those mods alone but will improve the drive-ability considerably.

If he is going to go for a re-map it's worth investing in some engine monitoring (boost gauge and knock detector as a minimum, add oil pressure / temp and air fuel ratio if you can justify the cost) as a dodgy batch of fuel can destroy an engine before you know it. Also worth upgrading the intercooler pipework to Samco (or similar) silicon pipes as the original plastic jobs have been know to split with the extra boost pressure.