Notices

A question about fans...Advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2011, 02:26 AM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about fans...Advice appreciated.

Hopefully a quickie one here, just something I never noticed in my old Classic...

I have noticed the fan seems to be one quite a lot.

For example after a drive of about 20 miles today, an easy drive btw I stopped for a while, the engine was turned off, and the ignition still on, after a 2 -3 minutes the fan came on, lasted for a few minutes and turned off again.

The a short time later I was driving, then stationary for a few minutes, the fan again came on for a few minutes.

I also hear the fan when driving occasionally.

I never heard the fan in the Classic, but then it was much louder in the exhaust noise department so maybe just missed it?

Just wondering is this usual in an STi, or how often should / is the fan on?

The oil temp light is not on, and no ecl is on either. The temp guage sits constantly when warmed up just about the first line?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Tommy.
Old 21 March 2011, 09:52 AM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

^^^

I have similer issues with my fans, however mine dont actually come on untill my car has stopped moving. If i blip the throttle i hear a relay and then they stop... most strange. No over heating problems either.
Old 21 March 2011, 09:54 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

The first time your car's fans came on, the engine was off so coolant was not circulating and the coolant temperature sensor got heat soaked, therefore the fans came on.

The second time, you were stationary, so no airflow through radiator, the fans would definitely have to come on after a while.

The one worrying issue might be if your fans come on and stay on for a long time, I think more than a minute while stationary is too much. That could point to an inefficient cooling system possibly due to one fan not running, reduced coolant levels or a clogged radiator.
Old 22 March 2011, 02:12 AM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Thanks saiklon, good explanation there, same happened tonight was stationary in traffic for a few minutes, fan came on, then went off, then stopped a short time later, turned engine off then the ignition to the 'on.' The fan came on for over three minutes, flicked the ignition off, then on again and no fan?